Studio 2009 (Professional) incorrectly linked text field in targed doc
Thread poster: Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 10:41
Jul 5, 2010

Hi,

The client I represent as Translation Manager just acquired a license for the Studio 2009 Professional.

Now I've used the Editor of Studio to translate a technical document with lots of text fields that mostly only contain numbers (for legends of the photos) except for a small number of text fields on the cover.

When I created a target language document (Word), ALL - and I mean every single one of the text fields - were filled with the wrong content. Th
... See more
Hi,

The client I represent as Translation Manager just acquired a license for the Studio 2009 Professional.

Now I've used the Editor of Studio to translate a technical document with lots of text fields that mostly only contain numbers (for legends of the photos) except for a small number of text fields on the cover.

When I created a target language document (Word), ALL - and I mean every single one of the text fields - were filled with the wrong content. That could simply be the wrong digit or it could be that the text that orginally was in a text field on the cover was now in a text field that had contained a number.

They were obviously linked incorrectly. But why?

The original document was written in German as normal .doc with a Word 2007. I got Word 2003 on the computer.

Please let me know, what I can do to prevent this from happening in the future. Re-layouting 100 pages is simply enough once.

Thank you and regards,

Christina

[Edited at 2010-07-05 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a guess Jul 5, 2010

Hello Christina,
this is just a guess, but have you tried updating the automated fields?

Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
How do I update automated fields? Jul 6, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply.

First dummy question: What are automated fields? Are you talking about updateable automatic inserts in Word such as Date, Table of Contents, Index ...?

If so, they got nothing to do with normal text fields, do they?

Thanks for clarification.

Regards,

Christina

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Jul 6, 2010

Hello Christina,
yes, that's exactly what I meant. I didn't realize that your problem was related to normal text fields. Are you sure that the text fields are filled with "normal" content?

It has never happened to me, but I would try the following:
1. Export the TM into TMX
2. Import the TMX into Workbench
3. Open the source file in TageEditor
4. Translate, say, 15% of the document and try to "Save target as..."
to see if that works.

... See more
Hello Christina,
yes, that's exactly what I meant. I didn't realize that your problem was related to normal text fields. Are you sure that the text fields are filled with "normal" content?

It has never happened to me, but I would try the following:
1. Export the TM into TMX
2. Import the TMX into Workbench
3. Open the source file in TageEditor
4. Translate, say, 15% of the document and try to "Save target as..."
to see if that works.

If it does, the problem is clearly in the Word filter in Studio. If you experience the same problems in TagEditor, the source file might be corrupted, or perhaps using a custom document template (macros) that Trados (either version) is unable to deal with.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 (Professional) incorrectly linked text field in targed doc

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »