Studio 2009 (Professional) incorrectly linked text field in targed doc
Thread poster: Goetz und Weise

Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 15:54
Jul 5, 2010

Hi,

The client I represent as Translation Manager just acquired a license for the Studio 2009 Professional.

Now I've used the Editor of Studio to translate a technical document with lots of text fields that mostly only contain numbers (for legends of the photos) except for a small number of text fields on the cover.

When I created a target language document (Word), ALL - and I mean every single one of the text fields - were filled with the wrong content. That could simply be the wrong digit or it could be that the text that orginally was in a text field on the cover was now in a text field that had contained a number.

They were obviously linked incorrectly. But why?

The original document was written in German as normal .doc with a Word 2007. I got Word 2003 on the computer.

Please let me know, what I can do to prevent this from happening in the future. Re-layouting 100 pages is simply enough once.

Thank you and regards,

Christina

[Edited at 2010-07-05 11:43 GMT]


 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a guess Jul 5, 2010

Hello Christina,
this is just a guess, but have you tried updating the automated fields?


 

Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 15:54
TOPIC STARTER
How do I update automated fields? Jul 6, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply.

First dummy question: What are automated fields? Are you talking about updateable automatic inserts in Word such as Date, Table of Contents, Index ...?

If so, they got nothing to do with normal text fields, do they?

Thanks for clarification.

Regards,

Christina


 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Jul 6, 2010

Hello Christina,
yes, that's exactly what I meant. I didn't realize that your problem was related to normal text fields. Are you sure that the text fields are filled with "normal" content?

It has never happened to me, but I would try the following:
1. Export the TM into TMX
2. Import the TMX into Workbench
3. Open the source file in TageEditor
4. Translate, say, 15% of the document and try to "Save target as..."
to see if that works.

If it does, the problem is clearly in the Word filter in Studio. If you experience the same problems in TagEditor, the source file might be corrupted, or perhaps using a custom document template (macros) that Trados (either version) is unable to deal with.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 (Professional) incorrectly linked text field in targed doc

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search