Edit Window ergonomics and wishlist
Thread poster: Ward Whittaker

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
Portuguese to English
Jul 5, 2010

I've been trialling SDL Trados Studio 2009 for a couple of months now and are a few issues that I would like to know if other people are experiencing and whether they feel the same way as I do. There is no doubt that Studio 2009 is a fine product, it offers exceptional feedback to the translator when working on large multi-document projects, but I do feel it's lacking in some areas and I wonder if there are workarounds for what I am experiencing. As I said, I'm still new to this version having... See more
I've been trialling SDL Trados Studio 2009 for a couple of months now and are a few issues that I would like to know if other people are experiencing and whether they feel the same way as I do. There is no doubt that Studio 2009 is a fine product, it offers exceptional feedback to the translator when working on large multi-document projects, but I do feel it's lacking in some areas and I wonder if there are workarounds for what I am experiencing. As I said, I'm still new to this version having gone straight from Trados 7 to SDL 2009, so any feedback from other users or from SDL is welcome.

My primary problem is that after using Trados for many years, my eyes are extremely accustomed to seeking up and down when looking at source and target boxes. I find it having to use a left right eye movement leaves me extremely tired at the end of the day.
My wish list for the edit window and SDL 2009 in general is that:

1) All the elements within the Edit Window, that is the Target and Source areas, the Line Number, and the Percentage Compatible information in the center and the Text Type Column in the far right should all be treated as "individual elements" that the translator can move and rearrange within the Edit Window in whatever configuration works best for them. I've read some research on this issue regarding eye movement and I simply can't understand why we are now forced to move our eyes left and right wing translating rather up-and-down.
Is this leaving anyone else's eyes as tired as mine.

2) What used to be called the translators Workbench now seems more difficult to interpret. With the old Trados TW, we could see at a glance what had changed between different translation units, but I am finding that I now need to spend more time looking at the new " Translators Workbench" layout within SDL 2009 to see what has changed. The standard symbols and colors used in the old Translators Workbench were perfect. I don't see why these features needed to be changed. In truth, I would like to see the original translators Workbench able to be used as an element within SDL 2009.

3) Button customization. The project that I have just completed required an enormous amount of changing from uppercase to lowercase and vice versa. I found it irritating that I continually had to go to the format tab, then click on change case, then click on the case I wanted, then execute. This was extremely frustrating as most of the document required these changes. I don't see why buttons can't be completely customizable. Why can't I simply create a new button and allocate to it the function that I want, e.g. " change to uppercase". and even which toolbar I want to put it on. This was the same sad situation when using the MS Word / Trados combination in the past, and I feel it could have been made easier with the use of customizable buttons in SDL 2009.

4) The last issue is invoicing. SDL 2009 allows us to input our clients but stops there. Why not have SDL 2009 issue an invoice at the end of a project, nearly everything is in there already. It would take very little to take that information, add a little bit of billing information, format it, and create an invoice based on a project.

Best wishes
Any thoughts?
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:03
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
upper/lower case Jul 5, 2010

Well, I can help with point no 3. Select your text and the shortcut is shift+F3 (the same shortcut in Word).

Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Jul 5, 2010

You have already made my world easier, but I would still like to see customizable buttons

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
AutoHotKeys Jul 5, 2010

Try

http://www.autohotkey.com/

to create your own shortcuts.

Antonin Otahal

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please support the corresponding ideas Jul 5, 2010

on ideas.sdltrados.com

There is an idea for a horizontal layout and an idea for changing the way changes are presented. Also a lot of more ideas regarding Studio - just join there and vote.
SDL is watching that forum, so there is much more hope to get some influence on them there.

Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Side-by-side display Jul 5, 2010

When Studio was launched, I attended a Road Show and was appalled to see the side-by-side editor display. Anyway, now I have been using Studio for many months and have got used to the display - in fact I much prefer it!

So I would be a little more patient and persevere with it. Also, if you are continually changing between Trados 7 and Studio, the layout may be more stressful.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Patience and perseverance Jul 5, 2010

Roy OConnor wrote:
So I would be a little more patient and persevere with it.

Hi Roy,
I've been using Studio since Beta 2 (April 2008) and stil haven't fully got used to the side-by-side editor. I know it's a matter of preference and that's exactly why translators should be given the possibility to choose what they prefer.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Getting used to Side-by-Side Editor Jul 5, 2010

is indeed not that hard.
For reading purposes it is the better layout, so I can live without the old horizontal view.
But I can't get used to problem no 1 or tothe fact, I can't edit the source. And merging segments is now a pain somwhere, while splitting them is clearly better.

Nevertheless after having prepared a presentation about tags and compared the way of showing tags in Studio with other tools I must admit, that the way tags are shown in Studio and TagEditor is f
... See more
is indeed not that hard.
For reading purposes it is the better layout, so I can live without the old horizontal view.
But I can't get used to problem no 1 or tothe fact, I can't edit the source. And merging segments is now a pain somwhere, while splitting them is clearly better.

Nevertheless after having prepared a presentation about tags and compared the way of showing tags in Studio with other tools I must admit, that the way tags are shown in Studio and TagEditor is far superior to all other tools
Collapse

Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re side to side vs vertical Jul 5, 2010

Guys and girls, our brain functions all differ from each other and we all work in very different ways.

I was a hardware/software engineer with WANG during the 80s and the mainframe industry learned the hard way that "industry driven" was not the way to go. That industry made products and expected the customer to adapt to it. Software like this needs to be "user driven" and highly flexible. As a programmer I can tell you that separating the elements in the Edit Window and adding
... See more
Guys and girls, our brain functions all differ from each other and we all work in very different ways.

I was a hardware/software engineer with WANG during the 80s and the mainframe industry learned the hard way that "industry driven" was not the way to go. That industry made products and expected the customer to adapt to it. Software like this needs to be "user driven" and highly flexible. As a programmer I can tell you that separating the elements in the Edit Window and adding custom buttons is a no brainer.
Collapse

Jean-Luc Herin (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Danish to French
+ ...
painful and confusiong side-by-side display Aug 28, 2011

I totally agree with Ward. I tried to work in SDLX and quickly started refusing work in that application. Not hopeful about any change from SDL whose main market interest is agencies and their PM, not translators tired eyes.

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Side by side is really bad Aug 28, 2011

I also tried for months to get used to the side-by-side layout, but how anyone can possibly believe that they can compare two long string better in a side-by-side layout is truly beyond me. It's a tiring interface to use, and I have no doubt that it leads to errors.

Months ago, I did vote for the top-bottom option; I really hope SDL will give us the option to switch to the view each of us finds more comfortable.

Morten Narboe  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
oK Aug 29, 2011

I don't have a big problem with the left-right comparison, although I must admit up-down is neat.

But I completely agree with this: "2) What used to be called the translators Workbench now seems more difficult to interpret. With the old Trados TW, we could see at a glance what had changed between different translation units, but I am finding that I now need to spend more time looking at the new " Translators Workbench" layout within SDL 2009 to see what has changed. The standard sym
... See more
I don't have a big problem with the left-right comparison, although I must admit up-down is neat.

But I completely agree with this: "2) What used to be called the translators Workbench now seems more difficult to interpret. With the old Trados TW, we could see at a glance what had changed between different translation units, but I am finding that I now need to spend more time looking at the new " Translators Workbench" layout within SDL 2009 to see what has changed. The standard symbols and colors used in the old Translators Workbench were perfect. I don't see why these features needed to be changed. In truth, I would like to see the original translators Workbench able to be used as an element within SDL 2009."

It's often difficult to see what has changed, and sometimes it's IMPOSSIBLE because in some cases every single word is crossed over and replaced with the exact same word, even words that didn't change at all. I guess Trados detected some slight change to formatting or something (or a word was inserted, meaning that all the following words have "moved position", thus they must all be crossed over) and decided to replace every word to force me to hunt for the real change.

Even when it doesn't do this weird maneuver, it's still easier to see what has changed in Workbench.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit Window ergonomics and wishlist

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search