Update TM from document in Workbench - all TUs become 100% matches?
Thread poster: Peter Sass

Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 23:56
English to German
+ ...
Jul 6, 2010

Problem:
When trying to update a previous TM through the 'Update TM' feature in in Workbench (under Translation - Tools) with Translation Units from a TTX file, it seems that all imported (changed) TUs including fuzzy matches are transferred as 100%-matches (appearing in 'blue' in Tag Editor and marked as 100% matches in concordance search).
Is this how this feature generally works or is there a way to prevent this?

Background:
I worked on a TTX file in Studio 2009 and was told halfway through that I need to use Tag Editor instead because of major differences in tag settings and segmentation (unlike what I believed, Studio and Trados 2007 are not fully compatible regarding tag settings in ttx files).
Because the TM access does not and never did work in my Studio installation (error: Failed to initialise Translation Manager view) and I therefore cannot convert the TM from Studio to Trados 2007 directly, I've tried to use the TTX file as a source for the 2007 TM through using the 'update TM' feature. If there's a better workaround for exporting TUs from Studio TM/TTX file to Trados 2007, I'd be eager to know.

Thanks for your advice!

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-06 15:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:56
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
That's normal, if I got that right Jul 6, 2010

A 100% match (or any match) is based on the comparison between TU's in a translation memory and a segment. Since you are working (again) on segments whose translations are already in your TM (because you updated it), they are considered 100% matches.

If you're not happy with that, you could use the initial TM (the not updated one) and use the Translate feature, preferably with colours. The downside is that matches from your updated TM will not be inserted automatically, and you'll have to use "get" every time. However, if you only auto-translate 100% matches, lower matches will be handled as usual.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update TM from document in Workbench - all TUs become 100% matches?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search