Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:39
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2010

Hello everybody,

Having finished some projects in SDLX 2007 lately, I am back working in Studio again.

BUT: all of a sudden I have a problem with the connected termbase. I have a huge termbase in Multiterm with a lot of entries in French and less in German. My source text is French and I have checked the box "show all entries even if there is no translated term in the termbase"

Normally all entries in the termbase are shown (I have worked with this termbase in Studio for a year now). But now I only get the information: "Keine Benennungen gefunden" (no entries found).

Has this to do with an update (bug??) or is this something I can change on my own?

I already have removed and added the termbase anew, rebooted my PC etc... but still I get no information from my Multiterm termbase.

Thanks a million for your help!

Leena

PS: I have a PC with Windows XP

PPS. I can open the termbase (below the editor panel) via View> termbase view (Termbankansicht) and I can use the search function in the termbase window (above the editor - next to the TM panel). It seems only the terminology recognition does not work...

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the bat file from KB 3093 on talisma.sdl.com Jul 7, 2010

This is a known bug - after you've used Workbench the term recognition stops working in Studio. Instead of starting Studio in the "normal" way use the bat-file provided in that article.
Simply place it on the desktop and double click on it. This will start Studio with repaired term recognition.

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, Jerzy Jul 7, 2010

Thanks again, Jerzy, for your help!

The problem seems to be solved.

Have a nice sunny day!

Leena

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Similar update bug in Vista? Jul 16, 2010

Hi, Everyone,
I thought I would revitalise this thread as I have a similar problem to Leena, i.e. term recognition in the Studio Editor window does not work even though the terms appear under Termbase Search. The suggested solution of running LaunchStudio.bat (KB 3093) does not work on my Vista 64 operating system even when executed as Administrator.

The strange thing is though that the problem only appears to affect termbases which have been created from old previous MultiTerm exports from MT 2007 and earlier. Although the exported files import OK, the terms they contain are not recognised by the Studio Editor window. However, any new terms subsequently added either directly from the Editor window or in Multiterm itself are recognised.

This problem seems to have occurred relatively recently, as many of my old imported termbases work OK. Is this a new bug?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Roy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Side by Side tools Jul 16, 2010

When installing Studio SP2 you possibly got also Side by Side tools installed in your SDL program group. There is a porgram called Activate MT 2009. Execute that. Restart Studio - this should work. On my Windows Vista Home Premium 64 both this file and the bat from the KB article 3093 do work.

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Some queer effects Jul 17, 2010

Thanks for your tips, Jerzy. I have searched thru all my folders and queried on talisma, but unfortunately I have found no reference to Activate MT 2009. There is something funny going on as a termbase with multiple entries probably produced unintentionally through multiple imports produces term recognition in the Editor!

The conditions under which the fault appears obviously need to be defined more precisely. I will see if I can narrow it down.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Just wondering... Jul 21, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This is a known bug - after you've used Workbench the term recognition stops working in Studio. Instead of starting Studio in the "normal" way use the bat-file provided in that article.
Simply place it on the desktop and double click on it. This will start Studio with repaired term recognition.

I wonder how users react to this problem if they don't frequent the forums. Frustration I'd imagine. And they probably don't keep it to themselves.

This is been up before, but it would sure be nice if the company would e-mail tech bulletins to registered users when things like this come up. This would also be a good channel for clearing up common misconceptions, such as the rather widespread belief that Studio cannot produce legacy bilinguals (TTXs).

And while I'm on the subject, it'd also be nice if the company's e-mail system would stop sending me sales pitches for something I purchased over a year ago. I already receive more e-mail than I need.

/Joel

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm case... a little bit off topic... Jul 21, 2010

Joel Earnest wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This is a known bug (...)

I wonder how users react to this problem if they don't frequent the forums. Frustration I'd imagine. And they probably don't keep it to themselves.

AFAIK, this kind of frustration makes 70-80% of Trados users don't use Multiterm (some of them even don't know it exist and they don't download the setup file...), so probably most Multiterm problems are/were considerer marginal by the developers because "nobody" complains about 'em.
It's a kind of vicious circle.

BTW, the fact it's not Multiterm trial version seems an evidence SDL don't care about and/or rather wants to hide it.
This is a long time tradition which started approx. 10 years ago the with Java/.Net based Multiterm editions which were always upredictable.

This is been up before, but it would sure be nice if the company would e-mail tech bulletins to registered users when things like this come up.

It would be nicer to simply fix the bug...

This would also be a good channel for clearing up common misconceptions, such as the rather widespread belief that Studio cannot produce legacy bilinguals (TTXs).

Well, these people expect rather a special function like "Save as TTX" which, of course, doesn't exist.

And while I'm on the subject, it'd also be nice if the company's e-mail system would stop sending me sales pitches for something I purchased over a year ago.

Huh...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-07-21 09:41 GMT]

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Bug admin Jul 23, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

This is been up before, but it would sure be nice if the company would e-mail tech bulletins to registered users when things like this come up.

It would be nicer to simply fix the bug...

Yeah, I don't get the logic behind not fixing it either. It's been around for awhile now.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is this really a bug? Jul 23, 2010

If you do not use T2007 the terminology recognition is working. So no bug then...
The problem is appearing only when Workbench has been used. This will not be a permanent state, as Workbench will not be used forever. In this very case I see more important things to do on Studio than loosing time for fixing this one, which is a temporary problem.

French to Polish
+ ...
Yep, it's not a bug, it's a feature... Jul 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you do not use T2007 the terminology recognition is working. So no bug then...

I have no problems to run DV3 and DVX, memoQ 3.x and 4.x, Word editions from 95 to 2007 etc.
Some of them simultaneously.
No hassle.

If the Multiterm guys released a product which permits to run the 2007 and 2009 editions side by side, basically it should work.
Or they're just kidding.

The problem is appearing only when Workbench has been used. This will not be a permanent state, as Workbench will not be used forever.

Nonetheless, as I see, it will be used for long, long time...

In this very case I see more important things to do on Studio than loosing time for fixing this one, which is a temporary problem.

Yep.
Seconded.
As some day Trados 2020 will be released, Multiterm may be a bug collection during another 10 years because it's just a temporary problem.

The problem is when we defend these obvious Multiterm bugs and when we're seem to be happy of these KB solutions, the guys are gettng even more impudent and will preserve their basic bugs during several years even more carefully than they do now.
E.g. Multiterm Extract #101 error has more than 10 years.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is a bug... Jul 23, 2010

but my question is as always, if it is worth to spend so much time on it.
You are referring to Word.
In Word 97 to 2003, when you used the feature pagenumber of setcion pages to get document numbered like "1 of 3" per each section, the printout worked only, when printed from normal view. If printed from layout view, you got "1 of 1" "2 of 2" and so on - but not what you inteted to get. There are certainly also other stories about software and bugs...
In my situation for examole Across will not work at all - I can use CrossWeb, I could install a local instance of Across with no problem, but I can't work on any project got from the customer. Across crashes without ANY error message - what I have is ony the Windows note "The program does not react" and have to kill it. Would this be Trados, I can imagine all the Internet being flood by angry people reporting that.
So even if this one is a bug, there is a quite easy solution to cope with it - simply start Studio using the bat file instead by the native link. You can even create a shortcut to it on your own and give it the symbol of Studio - this works and is a solution. So if you have a little bit of good will on that, we could treat this problem as resolved and concentrate on other thigs which need to be revamped.
This is more pragmatical way of living, I would think.

French to Polish
+ ...
It is a bug... :) Jul 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

but my question is as always, if it is worth to spend so much time on it.
You are referring to Word.
In Word 97 to 2003, when you used the feature pagenumber of setcion pages to get document numbered like "1 of 3" per each section, the printout worked only, when printed from normal view. If printed from layout view, you got "1 of 1" "2 of 2" and so on - but not what you inteted to get. There are certainly also other stories about software and bugs...

Yes, of course.
But at least it Word loads correctly after you open a previous version

In my situation for examole Across will not work at all - I can use CrossWeb, I could install a local instance of Across with no problem, but I can't work on any project got from the customer. Across crashes without ANY error message - what I have is ony the Windows note "The program does not react" and have to kill it. Would this be Trados, I can imagine all the Internet being flood by angry people reporting that.

As you wrote some day, Trados has more users, so they post more problems

So even if this one is a bug, there is a quite easy solution to cope with it - simply start Studio using the bat file instead by the native link. You can even create a shortcut to it on your own and give it the symbol of Studio - this works and is a solution. So if you have a little bit of good will on that, we could treat this problem as resolved and concentrate on other thigs which need to be revamped.
This is more pragmatical way of living, I would think.

Well.
Imagine how much time is wasted by gazillions of translators who experience this problem.
I suppose one ot two hours of work of a programmer (frankly speaking, less...) is enough to create this link which can be included by default in the Trados distro.
They may name it Safe Mode, Repair or something like this, no matter.
If I experience strange problems, my first reaction is to click this link.
No KB articles to find.

It seems enough pragmatic?

For me, the real problem is the Multiterm guys prefer not to fix their errors and make waste time to translators.
Because it's easier.

As usually, I repeat my mantra about the non working CSV export from Multiterm and the answer of the support, it was something like:
You have no tabs?
Simply add 'em when you see they're missing.

The approach seems similar, huh?

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-07-23 15:08 GMT]

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Work in progress Jul 23, 2010

My take on Studio is that it's still a work in progress, but even so, it's still MUCH better than the old Trados versions and other CAT tools I've taken for a spin.
I'm willing to give them some time to work out the rough spots, although I still think they should be sending out tech bulletins.

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
More thoughts on corruption of termbases by imports Aug 19, 2010

Here are one or two thoughts and findings for the MT 2009 saga. I inadvertently corrupted one of my main termbases by trying to import an XML import file produced from an XLS version of a customer's glossary yesterday. The TB still exists and can be read, but the interface with Studio is disturbed so that term recognition does not work. So I carried out one or two tests.

I thought I could maybe restore my original TB by exporting the original terms (i.e. without the imported terms) and importing them to a blank TB. All OK except that term recogition still did not work, except for terms subsequently added manually. All the imported terms remained unseen by Studio.

Using a small test TB, exporting the entries from the TB as XML and then importing them again into the same TB seems to work OK. So how does a directly exported/imported XML differ from one created from XLS by MT Convert? The XMLfile does not seem to contain any identifiers to identify it as a purely native file. But if a small modifcation is made to the exported XML (e.g. to the spelling of a term using XML Viewer), the XML will not import again.

I basically agree with Grzegorz that many translators don't bother with the MT/Studio interface - the either don't use MT at all or only as a manual look-up facility. Two friends of mine have never bothered with the interface although they are relatively computer savvy. When it works it is fine, but the Studio/MT link is not robust enough in everyday use. We all end up as beta testers.

If anyone has any further impressions on the Studio/MT interface, particularly in a Vista 64 environment, I for one would be glad to hear them!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 SP2 - no entries in Termbase

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search