Trados dictionary
Thread poster: Tiziana Idini

Tiziana Idini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
English to Italian
Jul 7, 2010

Hello everyone, I just started looking at Trados 2009 and I’m trying to learn how to use it. I understood that to be able to have my dictionary in the memory I need 25000 segments. My question is: do you know if the program comes with a basic dictionary? Also if I don’t arrive to 25000 segments does it mean that I can’t use it? (or is not yet useful)
Thank you, Tiziana

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:51
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not quite Jul 7, 2010

You need 25000 segments in your translation memory to be able to generate an autosuggestion glossary. What it does is that it suggests possible words and phrases as you type. It's great but not necessary - in fact this feature was only introduced with Studio 2009, and most of us lived without it before and still do. At translationzone.com you can download some glossaries, I think, but again - they are not necessary.

What you do need is a translation memory. You can get one from your client or create your own and fill it gradually with your translations. Of course you can and should have multiple TM's for different clients and topics.

It's also good to have terminology glossaries with single terms that will get highlighted as you translate, and you will be able to translate them. Again, you can get one from your client or create your own (in MultiTerm).

Good luck!

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 01:51
English to Portuguese
AutoSuggest is one of the best features of Studio for me... Jul 8, 2010

My question is: do you know if the program comes with a basic dictionary? Also if I don’t arrive to 25000 segments does it mean that I can’t use it? (or is not yet useful)

There is no pre-installed dictionary, because it must be created using your memories, otherwise it wouldn't be very useful...

When I have a job for which the specific memories do not add up to 25.000 units, I add similar memories until it reaches 25k. If you don't have such volumes yet, I guess SDL had a place where there were generic ones, posted by users. Start with them, but regenerate the dictionary every time you finish your job, using the "fill up" memory and the smaller one you just used to work.

AutoSuggest is great for me...

Rgds

Edric

Tiziana Idini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 8, 2010

Your comments were very helpful.
Tiziana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados dictionary

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search