Footnote crashes Word2000J with Trados Freelance 6.5
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 06:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2004

First, thanks to all who assisted with my last Trados crisis.

My current issue is not urgent, but more a matter of curiosity.

In a Japanese RTF help file (probably RoboHelp?), there is one footnote which crashes Word2000J consistently. I can open and view this footnote in word, but cannot "Open Segment" in Trados.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I was told by my client that there were no reported troubles when this document was translated into Korean
... See more
First, thanks to all who assisted with my last Trados crisis.

My current issue is not urgent, but more a matter of curiosity.

In a Japanese RTF help file (probably RoboHelp?), there is one footnote which crashes Word2000J consistently. I can open and view this footnote in word, but cannot "Open Segment" in Trados.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I was told by my client that there were no reported troubles when this document was translated into Korean.

I am using TRADOS 6.5 Freelance in WinXP Home (Japanese) with Office 2000 (Japanese), and all of them are fully updated to the best of my knowledge.

Any hints would be great. Thanks.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:06
English to German
+ ...
At what point exactly does this happen? Jan 19, 2004

Hi again,
I assume you're familiar with the handling of footnotes, which Trados treats as sub-segments.

Does the crash occur when you try to open the segment containing the footnote, or when trying to place the sub-segment?

Best regards, Ralf

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 06:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot open sub-segment Jan 19, 2004

Word crashes without successfully opening the sub-segment if I try to open it with the Trados toolbar.

Opening the footnotes manually and viewing them is possible, but attempting to translate from there does not, of course, work either.

I am not what you would call familiar with footnotes. I have only had Trados for several months and am still getting accustomed to its inner workings (as my rather inane previous posting shows). But I have noticed that the forma
... See more
Word crashes without successfully opening the sub-segment if I try to open it with the Trados toolbar.

Opening the footnotes manually and viewing them is possible, but attempting to translate from there does not, of course, work either.

I am not what you would call familiar with footnotes. I have only had Trados for several months and am still getting accustomed to its inner workings (as my rather inane previous posting shows). But I have noticed that the format of this particular footnote seems to my untrained eye to be a little odd:

# K $ �����g�̕ύX

Why are there spaces between the markers? I don't think they should be there, but I can't (and shouldn't) erase them either.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:06
English to German
+ ...
Trados Knowledge Base...? Jan 19, 2004

Hi again,
Have a look at this article from the Trados KB - HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnote crashes Word2000J with Trados Freelance 6.5

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »