Translating .csv-files
Thread poster: JoeFixit

JoeFixit  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:46
English to Norwegian
Jul 9, 2010

Hi all.

I just received a .csv-file for translation. Any ideas on how to solve this? It doesn't work in Tag Editor, maybe it needs to be converted somehow?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
txt or xls Jul 9, 2010

Depending on the purpose you can rename to txt or open in MS Excel and save as xls. After completing the translation, you can rename the txt back to csv, or save the xls as csv in Excel. If you choose the Excel way, be careful not to change the separator. If you discuss the options with the customer, they may even accept the xls as the outcome.

Antonin

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You could use Studio instead of Tag Editor Jul 9, 2010

Hi Joe,

Studio has a csv filter so you could translate the file directly without going to xls first.

Regards

Paul

English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both Jul 9, 2010

Antonin: I guess it's a database export of sorts. I'm having some issues with tag editor as well, but say I manage to create a TTX of an XLS version of this file, and then export it back to CSV, will the client be able to import it back into their database? If I don't mess with the separators, that is.

SDL: Thanks! I did not know that. I think my agency is about to implement Studio, I'll need to check on that first. Are there any settings that need to be set, or can I just put the csv in 2009 and go ahead with analysis and translation?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Using CSV Jul 9, 2010

Hi Joe,

You can just put the csv in and start work if you like, but depending on what's in the file itself there are a few options to help make your life easier. Things like;

• Adding quick insert capability
  • Change the delimiter recognition to be a tab, or some other character
  • Specify a particular column to be translated
  • Add extra columns for the translation
  • Specify that translatable text is inside quotes
  • Lock existing translations, and/or specify they are already confirmed
  • Set various tag verification settings
  • etc.

It really depends on what the content of the file is. But you could just open the file and start work.

Regards

Paul

English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both Jul 9, 2010

Thanks Paul, I will keep this information for when we switch to Studio 2009. It might happen sooner rather than later, thanks to this file and the 2009 compatibility.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .csv-files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search