Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
TM won't update during translation (Studio 2009)
Thread poster: Djamila_Vilcsko

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:09
French to German
+ ...
Prepare the project without a project TM Sep 20, 2010

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

HHL was mentioning something about not enabling (new) project TMs creation, so you could use the master TM directly and update it directly as well.

I cannot find any such options under TM settings, do you know by any chance how to enable direct updating of the master TM (even after overwriting 100% matches)?

In order to work without a project TM, you need to use the task sequence "Prepare without Project TM" instead of the standard "Prepare" when you create the project. In that case, no project TM will be created for this project.
If you want to always work without a project TM, you can also customize your task sequences by going to 'File - Setup - Task Sequences" and editing the task sequence 'Prepare'; simply remove the task 'Populate Project Translation Memories'.

Also remember that when you work with a project TM, you still have the capability to update the main TM not only at the end of the project, but whenever you wish to do so by using the command 'Project - Batch tasks - Update Main Translation Memories'.

Let me point out that the default behavior is for the Freelance version to NOT create any project TM and for the Professional version to create a project TM.

In order to facilitate this complex handling of main TMs vs. project TMs, the upcoming SP3 release will include two new features:
a) You will be able to set a general option that you always want to work without a project TM
b) The TM selection dialogue in the Project Settings will not only show the main TM(s) you selected for the project, but also the project TMs (currently you can't see at a glance that you have a project TM).

Walter

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Project TMs are not shown in the Project settings Sep 20, 2010

Mihai Badea wrote:

If you take a look at my screenshot, you'll see two TMs. Let's say the first is the project TM and the second is the master TM. Under the "Update" column you can tick the appropriate box(es) depending on which TM(s) you want to update.

Sorry to correct you Mihai, but your screenshot shows two "main TMs" and not any project TM. Project TMs are not visible in this dialogue, at least not up to SP2.

This new feature will be introduced with the upcoming SP3 release.

Walter

Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you Sep 20, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Sorry to correct you Mihai, but your screenshot shows two "main TMs" and not any project TM. Project TMs are not visible in this dialogue, at least not up to SP2.

This new feature will be introduced with the upcoming SP3 release.

Walter

Thank you, Walter, for having corrected me and sorry, Tomi, for having misled you.

Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Many thanks Sep 21, 2010

for clarifying things Walter, I really started to scratch my head at this one.

God knows how many hours went to waste just because I never bothered to check the root of this problem!

I had the project prepared and it works great at the moment.

Thank you all!!

Tomi

Djamila_Vilcsko  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tomi ;) Sep 21, 2010

Good to know that there are actually other people around who have had the same problem. I was already starting to doubt myself.

Good luck with your project!

Djamila

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sorry to bother you all again on this same topic Feb 14, 2011

Following your istructions I created a project and added a TM, updating it through the batch tasks. No problems up to here.
Yet when working on a new file (X) of the same project and creating new translations, these won't propagate all over this new (X) until I run the mentioned batch task. What am I missing?

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Sabina

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Convert on the fly? Apr 4, 2011

I dregded this up trying to find a way to convert a project (to not using project TMs) after it was created (with project TMs). My search was fruitless, so I put the question to you: can it be done? I'd rather not delete and recreate my projects.

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You cannot change this setting for a current project Apr 4, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

I dregded this up trying to find a way to convert a project (to not using project TMs) after it was created (with project TMs). My search was fruitless, so I put the question to you: can it be done? I'd rather not delete and recreate my projects.

The project TM is created in the 'Prepare' task sequence, which means that you cannot change this once you have finished creating your project. But this should not pose a problem as you can update your main TM whenever you want and at the end by finalizing your project.

If you don't want to use the project TM approach for your future projects, simply modify the default project template to do a 'Prepare without project TM' (which BTW is default for the Freelance version).

Walter

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Delete and recreate it is Apr 4, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

you cannot change this once you have finished creating your project.

If you don't want to use the project TM approach for your future projects, simply modify the default project template to do a 'Prepare without project TM' (which BTW is default for the Freelance version).

Walter

Thanks, you're probably right. I'll have to redo my old projects to get rid of the silly project TMs.
I've already changed the default setting months ago, this only affects projects created prior to that.
BTW 'Prepare without project TM' was definitely not the default in my copy of Studio Freelance. Perhaps SDL saw the error of its ways and changed the default behaviour after I bought Studio last year?

Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:09
Spanish to French
+ ...
Task sequence Jun 21, 2011

Hi Walter,

First of all, thanks for all the valuable info you have put on this forum.
After reading it all, I have tried removing some tasks in the task sequence bc none of the three preparation options really match my needs, but the Tasks sequence is greyed out whether I access it through the Setup menu option or though the project template settings (I have even tried in the default template).
Am I missing sth? Could it be because I have projects in progress based on th
... See more
Hi Walter,

First of all, thanks for all the valuable info you have put on this forum.
After reading it all, I have tried removing some tasks in the task sequence bc none of the three preparation options really match my needs, but the Tasks sequence is greyed out whether I access it through the Setup menu option or though the project template settings (I have even tried in the default template).
Am I missing sth? Could it be because I have projects in progress based on the custom template I am trying to modify?

Thanks,
Nicolas

Walter Blaser wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

The project TM is created in the 'Prepare' task sequence, which means that you cannot change this once you have finished creating your project. But this should not pose a problem as you can update your main TM whenever you want and at the end by finalizing your project.

Walter

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM won't update during translation (Studio 2009)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search