Changing auto-localization options for numbers in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:22
German to English
Jul 14, 2010

I suppose this is pretty much a general question. Questions have already been asked on this subject but I haven't been able to ascrtain whether a solution has been found.

It is clear that it is possible to switch the auto-localization feature on/off for various numbers/times/measurements combinations. But is it possible to adjust how numbers are auto-localized? The reason I ask is because, in my case, I would like to quickplace percentages, for instance, but the format is wrong. All the style guides that I use stipulate that a percentage should be written thus: 25% and not thus: 25 % (they way Trados does it). And, more to the point, that's how my customers like it too.

Is there any way of editing this? I have found limited options for measurements (space/no space) and time (short/long format) but for numbers the options seem to be limited to on/off.

[Edited at 2010-07-15 10:50 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you refer to Studio OR Legacy Trados? Jul 14, 2010

In case of "old" Trados nearly everything could be customized on that side, but the way percentages are written were not customizable at all. In other words - in legacy Trados you have to stick to 25 % (which is the correct way in most languages, but ie. wrong for Polish, would however be right for German) and use Search&Replace after the translation. However, if you do S&R before you start translating, legacy Trados will keep 25% if it was written like that - it has NO ability to insert a space there. So if you wanna trick it out, do S&R on the source for " %" and replace by "%".

As for Studio - here things are much more complicated. Depending on the version you can customize nearly nothing or you can even decide, that Studio shall/shall NOT insert a space between number and measurment. However, if you decide for NO space, you will also get 25A instead of 25 A or 240V instead of 240 V, which are obviously NOT correct.
So what I do here (SP2): I let Studio ALWAYS insert a non breaking space there and treat number-only segments separately. Using regex and display filter I let the program show number only segments and localize them accordingly. Using the regex you can for example enter "\%" in the "Containg:" field of display filter and let show you all segments containing %. Then localize them as necessary and do not care more about 'em.

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing auto-localization options for numbers in Trados 2009 Jul 15, 2010

Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to mention the platform - I have updated my question now to show that I meant T2009, not T2007 or earlier.

And thanks for your answer - although I'm disappointed to find out that it was basically no and as ever we have to use workarounds to trick the software into doing what it's supposed to do.

The function regarding measurements was one I had already found. It is useful to point it out here, even though it is not, strictly speaking, relevant to the question because - as far as I know - percentages are treated as numbers not as measurements.

Regex is something totally new to me and I glad you pointed it out here. I must find out more about this (there is information in the Trados help and a link to a web page providing filter expressions).

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Auto-inserting space for measurments Jul 15, 2010

I admit it is not what would be prefect - but AFAIK there is no CAT tool, which would be perfect on that.
The problem we have is, that there are certain language rules for notation of numbers and measurments - but they are never kept!
This means you have quite often 24VDC, where it shoul be 24 V DC and so on.

After a disaster at the beginning (in my humble opinion, of course), the number handling in Studio has been significantly revamped, so that I now must admit, that it is good, even if still not perfect. So I use my workaround there.
To show all segments with numbers use \d+
When you want only number segments use ^\d+$
^\d+\.\d+$ will show all 0.0 and 00.0000 and so on segments
^\d+\,\d+$ will show 2,555 and so on
The symbol "^" means begin of line, the "$" is the end of the line, "\d" is a number, "\d+" represents more numbers and so on - unfortunately I do not know enough about regex to give you more examples.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing auto-localization options for numbers in Trados 2009

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search