Studio 2009 (not starter) not compatible with old .mtw files?
Thread poster: Joost Elshoff

Joost Elshoff  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 15, 2010

Another issue arises, now I have my TM converted to Studio 2009, but can't seem to use the Multiterm files (mtw, mta, mdm), because they're not supported anymore. Any clues how to make them work in Studio 2009?

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Convert them with MultiTerm Jul 15, 2010

Hi,

If you have MultiTerm 2009, you can convert them and use them in Studio.

Daniel

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You need SDL MultiTerm 2009 Jul 15, 2010

If you have Studio, you should have this version as well. You will need to run MultiTerm 2009 Convert and choose the option for MultiTerm 5. That will only create a definition file and a glossary file. In MultiTerm 2009 create a new termbase based on the definition file and import the glossary file.

It is unnecessarily complicated, and you should probably read Help for those tasks.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
MT 2007 termbases are automatically converted by MT 2009 Jul 15, 2010

Joost

Multiterm 2009 opens 2007 termbases without any problem, it converts them on the fly to the new format.

There is no need to use MT Convert as Adam suggested - unless you have really old files (MT iX or older).

Walter

Joost Elshoff  Identity Verified
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Jul 16, 2010

I tried opening the mtw-file in SDLX, to no avail. Tried opening it in Wordfast because some FAQ's suggest that's possible, no solution either... I fear it's a really old termbase, MT iX or earlier... and there's no way of opening it...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
In this case use Multiterm Convert ... Jul 16, 2010

and follow the procedure outlined by Adam.

Walter

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm 5.x Jul 16, 2010

Joost Elshoff wrote:

I tried opening the mtw-file in SDLX, to no avail. Tried opening it in Wordfast because some FAQ's suggest that's possible

It's impossible.

no solution either... I fear it's a really old termbase, MT iX or earlier... and there's no way of opening it...

Multiterm 5.5 or an earlier 5.x flavour, I suppose.
It was shipped with Trados 'til the 2006 version but it was not installed automatically.
Check your Trados setup files archive if you have any.
It's still widely used by some societies because of it's extreme portability (you just receive the file, point it in Workbench and forget).

MT Convert 2007/2009 is able to process these files (sure) but it's possible MT 5.5 must be installed (not sure, I have MT 5.5 installed on all my machines).

Attention, for huge termbases, the performance may be extremely poor, at least in Multiterm 2007 Convert.
My largest conversion took 5 days before I killed the process ant continued in DVX which did the job over the night.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-07-16 10:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 (not starter) not compatible with old .mtw files?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search