How to avoid long document preparation times in Studio 2009
Thread poster: MarkAlexande (X)

MarkAlexande (X)
Local time: 22:15
Jul 16, 2010

Hi --

Can anyone tell me how to get around excessively long document prep times in Studio 2009? I have an entirely ordinary academic document, about 36 normed pages in length. After waiting 12 minutes on my pretty-much-up-to-date computer, I hit the cancel switch during the Batch Processing|Preparation routine. 12 minutes seems like more than enough for an ordinary document to be readied for translation:-)

Having hit the cancel switch, the wizard just sat and spun. So I had to kill Studio in the Task Manager. Actually, I did this three times, each time tweaking this or that, hoping the preparation routine would play nicely. It didn't.

I then tried selectively leaving out the analysis and pre-translate portions of the routine. The document appeared to have been prepared okay, but I noticed immediately that some things which should be in the TM were not appearing in the results grid (even though they are available in the concordance and TMs appear to be loaded correctly).

Can anyone advise me of a way around this problem? I get documents of this description all the time. I don't know how long Studio was planning to take to do the full routine but I don't have that much time. What can I leave out and still have the document function properly on the translation grid? And, if anyone knows, I'm just curious – why does document preparation take this long in the first place?

Thanks for any help with this.

Mark A.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps a hint Jul 16, 2010

Hello Mark,
try to save the document as DOCX. If you don't have Word 2007, you will need to download the Compatibility Pack from the Microsoft website.

PS: If you hit the Cancel button during the file conversion task, Studio will most probably just freeze...

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
Member (2004)
German to English
Performance issues and TM format Jul 17, 2010

I recently went to visit Paul Filkin from SDL who helped me with some issues.

Go to Translation memories, open your TM, right click, select settings then Performance and Tuning. Advanced tuning - you can slide that to adjust your balance between accuracy and speed. Especially good for large TMs.

Then go back to the settings page. Under target language, there is a check box for "Enable character-based concordance search". If this is checked it will slow down your memory. The only way to "uncheck" it is to export the TM and import into a new TM ensuring this option is not checked.

These two things speed up my TM and therefore analysing a lot.
Gillian

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Good idea Jul 17, 2010

Thanks for the good idea Gillian (and Paul) about adjusting the accuaracy/speed balance to speed up analysis times.
Like Mark, I thought that slow file preparation time was due to the source file, but of course the size of the TM used in the analysis will also affect this performance.
One of my TMs is pretty big and you're right, it's when I use this one that analysis times are particularly slow.
So thanks for the tipicon_smile.gif

I must also try out Stanislav's suggestion of converting to docx, which might help as well, although it won't solve the slow analysis when preparing ttx files, which are my bread and butter.

MarkAlexande (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.... Jul 17, 2010

Stanislav, I had tried importing as docx because I read somewhere on this forum (I think from Paul Filkin) that the filter is better. But to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gillian, thanks for all the steps:-) I haven't worked through them yet but I'll just betcha they work. Insofar as TM size is an issue, I have one-half of the complete DGT TM loaded onto this project, so that's likely to be having some impact.

Thanks very much again for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid long document preparation times in Studio 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search