When I convert a ttx file the Excel document still has the source language in it
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:51
Member (2006)
French to English
Jul 20, 2010

I use Trados 2007, have just translated a straightforward Excel document with TagEditor, but when I click "save target as" to xls although the date of the xls file changes (to the date and time of the conversion) the source language is still there & the target text has not been converted. It is a large document and it would be very time-consuming to copy and paste the target text into the xls file. I've noticed when saving that the spell check will only check in French ie the source, and not in ... See more
I use Trados 2007, have just translated a straightforward Excel document with TagEditor, but when I click "save target as" to xls although the date of the xls file changes (to the date and time of the conversion) the source language is still there & the target text has not been converted. It is a large document and it would be very time-consuming to copy and paste the target text into the xls file. I've noticed when saving that the spell check will only check in French ie the source, and not in the target ie English which indicates there is a problem. I haven't been able to correct this! The version of Excel I'm using is 2003. Can anyone think of any solutions please? The name of the original document is identical to the saved document as I know it needs to be, but I don't understand why the conversion has not taken place!Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Source doc problem Jul 20, 2010

The issue is probably caused by a messy source document that tageditor can't handle. I've had it happen with Word docs. Unfortunately, I have no idea what could cause this with Excel files or how best to handle it. If I were you, I'd try and get somebody with a newer version of Trados (maybe Studio) to generate the target xls for me... and hope for the best.

You could also try copy-pasting the contents of the original file to a new, empty xls and using that as a basis for the tagedi
... See more
The issue is probably caused by a messy source document that tageditor can't handle. I've had it happen with Word docs. Unfortunately, I have no idea what could cause this with Excel files or how best to handle it. If I were you, I'd try and get somebody with a newer version of Trados (maybe Studio) to generate the target xls for me... and hope for the best.

You could also try copy-pasting the contents of the original file to a new, empty xls and using that as a basis for the tageditor "cleanup", but that could go wrong if it has content that doesn't carry over with copy-pasting.
Collapse

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try to clean in the WB Jul 20, 2010

I 've never had this problem, so I don't know if this works in your case, but I'd try to use the Workbench to clean the document. (I think you may have already done this, but just in case...)
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When I convert a ttx file the Excel document still has the source language in it

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »