Autotext in SDL Trados 2009
Thread poster: MFoxTrans

MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 06:35
Japanese to English
Jul 21, 2010

So, I know you can add autotext entries in 2009 by going to Tools->Options->Auto Suggest-> Autotext and then adding them one by one manually or by importing.

But this is quite ridiculous. Is there no way to add them on the fly, like in MS Word, by highlighting a Target Language word and then hitting a short cut to add them to the auto suggest? If not, SDL has a serious program engineering flaw. This feature saves translators HOURS upon hours in Word. I know all of the problems in Trados 2007, but at least we were still in word and could benefit from autotext and building blocks there.

So is there a way to do it? I sure hope it is not like their oversight in not providing an autosave feature. . . . I mean, even in Tageditor there was a short cut. . . .

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I am afraid there is no such way Jul 22, 2010

But I have the impression you overestimate what AutoText CAN do in T2009.
While in Word it is a great feature, in T2009 it is that certainly not.
The amount of work to create AutoText entries is to high compared tzo the results.
I would use Multiterm instead and of course the AutoSuggest dictionary.
And believe me - I have been using AutoText in Word, so it is not that I would not have a comparison.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Shorthand for Windows Jul 22, 2010

http://www65.pair.com/lim/shorthand/

As a matter of fact, I can't imagine my work without it; and it works the same in all applictions.

I believe you can - well, if you are ready to pay the "sweat fee" - also use free tools, like AutoHotKeys, for the same purpose.

Antonin

MFoxTrans
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Jul 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But I have the impression you overestimate what AutoText CAN do in T2009.
While in Word it is a great feature, in T2009 it is that certainly not.
The amount of work to create AutoText entries is to high compared tzo the results.
I would use Multiterm instead and of course the AutoSuggest dictionary.
And believe me - I have been using AutoText in Word, so it is not that I would not have a comparison.

Exactly. I agree. This is the kind of thing that makes me frustrated from the shift from CAT to TEnTs. When tools integrate with Word, you share the many powerful features of MS Office. When they walk away from that, they do solve some issues, but now they struggle to make their programs work and many features are missing. Where is autosave? how about real efficient editing tools like track changes, comments, and highlighting?

MFoxTrans
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 23, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

http://www65.pair.com/lim/shorthand/

As a matter of fact, I can't imagine my work without it; and it works the same in all applictions.

I believe you can - well, if you are ready to pay the "sweat fee" - also use free tools, like AutoHotKeys, for the same purpose.

Antonin

Wow, yes this looks very good. I tried AutoHotKeys. I am pretty computer/programming inclined, but I gave up on it. Definitely not worth it. I'll give this a shot.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
AHK Jul 23, 2010

Corianton wrote:

I tried AutoHotKeys. I am pretty computer/programming inclined, but I gave up on it. Definitely not worth it.

To be fair, AutoHotKeys is very good, but for different purposes. I use it for creating my own keyboard shortucts in software whose programmers did not think of customisation of this sort, or made such customisation difficult. You can tweak AHK to "AutoText-like" usage, but dedicated software (Shorthand for Widnows or others) can make things much easier, even if for some money.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autotext in SDL Trados 2009

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search