Eduardo Cano Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:47
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 22, 2010

Hello all!

I am working on a translation project with SDLX and I am absolutely desperate.

The file I am translating contains segments of the following type:

[TAG]K[TAG] button.

I am trying to insert text before the tags but there is no way I can do it. I must admit I am not a SDLX expert at all, I have tried some options but I cannot include my translation before the tag. The translation is into Spanish and I want it to be Botón K. I have tried using the formatting as colours and as tags, but I cannot find the way to do it. I guess it should be possible, but does someone know how to do it?

Thanks a million in advance for your help!

Kind Regards,
Edu

[Edited at 2010-07-22 20:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-22 20:50 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Eduardo Jul 22, 2010

Honestly, I don't quite understand the nature of the problem. I can click and write in any place of the target segment, before or after the tag.

Try changing the view of your document: in the menu View > Tags choose "Colors" instead of Tags.
This should help.

Natalia
P.S. Do you use the free or full SDLX version?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:47
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Format paint brush of SDLX Jul 23, 2010

After inserting words you need, select the SDLX Format Paint mode (not Translation Editing mode).
By using the paint brush, you can relocate position or sequence of tags easily.

Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Jul 23, 2010

Hello!

Many thanks for your help. Please find the screenshot below depicting my problem:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2vt4ck4.jpg

I would like "Botón" to be outside the tags. I have tried Format Paint in both SDLX Lite and Full version, and I guess that I am a SDLX dummy and it should be easier than it appears.

Could you please give me some advice on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Eduardo Jul 23, 2010

But you don't need to format paint anything in case your view is set to "full tags". You just need to place the cursor at the beginning of the line, before the tag and type the word "Botón". Aren't you able to move the cursor to the very beginning of the segment?

My 2nd question: have you tried to change the view to "Colors" in accordance with my previous post?

Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your prompt answer! Jul 23, 2010

Hello Natalia,

First of all thanks for your prompt answer. Yes, I have tried using format paint and it does not work.

I have tried placing the cursor before the tag and I am not able to do it. If I put the cursor immediately after the tag and I click the left arrow, it jumps backwards to the previous segment.

This is pretty strange, as I said I am not a SDLX expert but I have used it for several projects and this is the first time I am getting this. I think that the only solution will be contacting the agency, something I tried to avoid!

Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally solved! Jul 23, 2010

Ok peers I finally got the answer from the client and here it is, just in case some other user encounters with this "problem".

He told me, as Natalia, to use the colour formatting and then, use the option to remove target formatting and, then, apply the format from the source with Format painting and that's it.

Many thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help on inserting text before tag in SDLX

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search