Translation memory is a mess (how to clean up?)
Thread poster: Bevan Mckechnie

Bevan Mckechnie
New Zealand
Local time: 00:41
Japanese to English
Jul 23, 2010

Hi there,

I have a translation memory that is getting fairly large at 10mb (is 10mb large?)

Anyway, there are quite a few TUs that I don't want any more, have mistakes, etc.

Is there a way to go through my translation memory and clean things up? I.e. There are quite a lot of translations for the same sentence, many that are redundant.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:41
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Maintenance or concordance Jul 23, 2010

Assuming this is a SDL Trados 2007 or older TM, the proper feature for that is Maintenance. It is quite complicated, however, and you should look it up in the Help. A more straighforward way is to use Concordance - search for specific strings, and in the result window you can right-click each segment to edit or delete it.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tmx Jul 23, 2010

You can export to tmx, clean up in that format, and import back. Olifant is a tmx-editing freeware: http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/ReadMe.htm

Antonin

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you are using Studio 2009.... Jul 23, 2010

... then the process is much easier. There many useful batch tools designed specifically for this, and if you were going from 2007 to 2009 then the import process itself often cleans up a lot of unnecessary TU's.

You can find more on this here - http://tinyurl.com/TM-Maintenance

Regards

Paul

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What version of Trados do you mean? Jul 23, 2010

What version is it?

Bevan Mckechnie
New Zealand
Local time: 00:41
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Version Jul 25, 2010

Version: SP2 9.1.1264.0

Thank you to everyone so far who has replied - I appreciate the help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation memory is a mess (how to clean up?)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search