Thread poster: Lorraine Bathurst

Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2010

I have been asked to deliver the above on a Translation that has already begun in Studio 2009. I have seen the below on another post - but have no experience with 2007 Suite. Could someone explain how I convert a word file to a TTX in suite.
I am loathe to do this halfway through a translation and with a tight deadline because I am wasting time with software issues rather than translating but my client has asked me to try. Any assistance appreciated

Thank you.

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:
1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite.
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Original File to create a clean Word.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
French to Polish
+ ...
Bilingual Word file vs TTX Jul 24, 2010

Lorraine Bathurst wrote:

I have been asked to deliver the above on a Translation that has already begun in Studio 2009. I have seen the below on another post - but have no experience with 2007 Suite. Could someone explain how I convert a word file to a TTX in suite.
I am loathe to do this halfway through a translation and with a tight deadline because I am wasting time with software issues rather than translating but my client has asked me to try. Any assistance appreciated

Thank you.

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:
1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite.
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Original File to create a clean Word.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

Yes, you have a blingual TTX (it's bilingual by default, so normally nobody inists it's a bilingual file) on but the client probably wants a bilingual Word file.
In the common (but imprecise) usage, bilingual Trados file is bilingual word, TTX is simply TTX.

For bilingual Word, see my response in your precedent post, i.e.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176231-switching_halfway_through_a_translation_from_2009_to_2007.html

Cheers
GG

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:26
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to create a TTX Jul 24, 2010

Going backwards to create a TTX with your file half-translated is a problem.
You could:
open Workbench. Go to Tools > Translate > Add (your original word doc) >translate
Make sure you have checked the following box in Workbench: Options>Translation Memory Options>tools tab> tradostag xml workflow for word doc files

Or you could open Tag Editor, open your original word file and then "save as" ttx.

You could use a new, empty TM to do this and then when you open the ttx in Studio use your Studio TM to translate it with. But you probably won't get 100% matches from it, so it may take a long time. When you have finished the translation, "save as" will give you an option to save as the target word doc or as a bilingual ttx.

(Or you could export your Studio TM into tmx format and then create a new Workbench TM and import your tmx into it, and then go through the above steps to create your ttx using this TM.)

Any of these options are a headache. If you can persuade your client, just deliver the target word doc and your TM exported to tmx so that he can open it in Workbench.

In the future, always check with your client to see if he wants a bilingual file compatible with Trados 2007, and if so, always create a ttx and open it in Studio.

Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workarounds Jul 24, 2010

Thanks Emma for your clear instructions.

I have no experience at all with 2007 suite so I will try all of these workarounds another time and concetrate on the translation for today.
Yes this is a lesson learned.
The loneliness of a freelance translator learning new software!
Thank heavens for forums!

Thanks again.
L

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Delivering an unclean bilingual text in Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search