Thread poster: Adam Łobatiuk

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:39
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2010

I often find that Tag Editor and/or Workbench alter the formatting of some tags - it usually happens in TTX files made from XLIFF files or from Excel files that contain HTML/XML code (the tags are Trados-tagged as internal or external).

Those changes are of various types: adjacent tags are merged into one, the sides of tags change (e.g from straight to pointed or jagged). The most annoying cases are when internal tags turn into external within a segment. On some occasions, tags look identical in TE, the match is 100%, but a warning displays that a tag is missing.

The problem occurs when a match is served from TM. The match can be 100%, but the tags look different. I can't insert the correct tags with the usual keyboard shortcuts - the only way is to manually copy tags from the source and paste them in the target or insert source to translation and translate again.

As a result, the tags in the target, clean files are probably unchanged, but the QA and tag protection features in Tag Editor display warnings about tags missing. If tags change from internal to external, segments do not reopen as a whole and segments in the TM become useless. Overall, translation takes longer, because you never know if all the warnings can really be ignored.

I'm using SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on Windows Vista. Previously, I worked on Windows XP, and don't remember whether it happened there, but that might be because I didn't work on such files then. Does anyone else experience such problems and possibly have a solution?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
German to English
You're not alone Jul 24, 2010

I use the same version of TagEditor with Windows 7 and run into the same problem. The QA shows all sorts of tag mismatches, as adjacent tags merge. Unfortunately I don't know the cause or the remedy. The target xml files don't show any errors, however.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor messes with tag formats

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search