How long can I wait before upgrading from SDL 2006?
Thread poster: Jo-Hanna Goettsche

Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:31
English to Spanish
Jul 26, 2010

I will reveal my obsolescene. I still have SDL 2006 (gasp!)

Yesterday, after a long hiatus, I took on a new assignment. I realized that Trados WB did not want to work within my Word 2007 environment. As far as SDLX, I had to convert the file to a Word 2003 document.

I was checking the specials that expired today, and came dangerously close to purchasing the starter version. Yes, I may be a part-time freelancer, but it is not what I need.

I don't need to upgrade in the immediate future, but I will have to at some point. Does anybody know how long I can wait before they stop offering the upgrade to SDL 2006? I have tried checking their website but nothing jumps out (it probably was posted right under my nose).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No time limit Jul 26, 2010

This will very much depend on your customers. If they upgrade their tools and expect you to do so, you will have to.

Personally we still have some license of 2006 and 2007, but our business requires a degree of reliability, performance and flexibility neither 2007 nor Studio 2009 were capable of offering, so we switched to another main tool a year ago and will stick to our Trados 2006 and 2007 as long as our customers' needs allow.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Futurology... Jul 26, 2010

Jo-Hanna Goettsche wrote:

I will reveal my obsolescene. I still have SDL 2006 (gasp!)

Well, I have still DVX dated 2003 and I don't feel so obsolete icon_smile.gif

Yesterday, after a long hiatus, I took on a new assignment. I realized that Trados WB did not want to work within my Word 2007 environment. As far as SDLX, I had to convert the file to a Word 2003 document.

The diference is the Office 2007 (and 2010) support was offered as a free patch for DVX.
TBH, a similar policy is/was proposed for Transit.

I was checking the specials that expired today, and came dangerously close to purchasing the starter version. Yes, I may be a part-time freelancer, but it is not what I need.

IMO you can buy anything but the annual Studio Starter edition.
The annual (Standard) memoQ license makes more sense.
The list is not exhaustive, e.g. Swordfish ans Wordfast are interesting, especially if you have a Mac.

I don't need to upgrade in the immediate future, but I will have to at some point. Does anybody know how long I can wait before they stop offering the upgrade to SDL 2006?

I suppose the upgrade to the next version will not be longer available in accordance with the current upgrade policy.
Although it seems some exceptions are possible, e.g. it seems Trados is rapidly loosing the market part in Poland, mainly against memoQ, so the local dealer proposes temporalily upgrades from earlier Trados versions.
The problem is this upgrade is available only for Polish users.
We have really a very friendly and intelligent Trados dealer, kinda mission impossible icon_smile.gif

I have tried checking their website but nothing jumps out (it probably was posted right under my nose).

Just check the SDL website and watch sales, Trados is on sales in a regular way.
You may have big discounts In September.

I suppose the next version marketed as Trados may be published in October/November 2010 and SDL will try to reestablish the annual upgrade cycle also known as Trados tax icon_smile.gif
It's almost sure the next version will not contain the 2007 permanent license, so if you want to maintain the compatibility with Workbench and stay with Trados in the future, the best time for upgrade is before the next version is released, probably in the grace period, if announced.

PS
I have no official info about the next Trados, I just watch 'em.
My scenario is only possible, they may have another one.

Cheers
GG

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Not again... Jul 26, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
It's almost sure the next version will not contain the 2007 permanent license, so if you want to maintain the compatibility with Workbench and stay with Trados in the future, the best time for upgrade is before the next version is released, probably in the grace period, if announced.

This would cut off the new users from jobs "to be delivered as ttx". A few years ago such move would force outsourcers and everyone else to move to sdlxliff, now it would rather herd them toward MemoQ and other solutions... I hope they are smarter than that, at least the previous "temporary 2007" debacle should teach them something.

Besides I was under impression that 2009 relied on 2007 for some functions other than export to ttx (alignment?). But of course this might be solved if the relevant features are added to the new version.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just ask Grzegorz... Jul 26, 2010

... for all the latest SDL developments and then give us a hard time over the "facts"icon_wink.gif

We have made no changes, no announcements and as far as we are concerned at the moment there will be no change unless it really isn't needed anymore.

Regards

Paul

French to Polish
+ ...
Thus spoke Grzegorz... Jul 26, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

... for all the latest SDL developments and then give us a hard time over the "facts"icon_wink.gif

Well.
I think nobody will deny the 2009 version is the first revolutionary Trados branded software release after many years of stagnation, maybe except the 6.x (the T-Window for Excel/Powerpoint crap workflow replaced by TagEditor) and 7.x (TagEditor workflow for Word), the other versions were only a bug fixing for me.
So, yes, after many years of the quite primitive TagEditor environment, Studio makes a damn big difference.
Honestly speaking, Studio is finally a modern solution which is workable unless you're terminology centered.
As expected, Multiterm is still the weakest and the most vulnerable part of the package.

We have made no changes, no announcements and as far as we are concerned at the moment there will be no change unless it really isn't needed anymore

Well, I try to understand the manner you work icon_smile.gif
If the marketing wins, we'll have Trados 2010.
If the commons sense wins, I rather expect Trados 2011 or later.
As the shareholders needs ROI, I expect rather a marketing solution.

Cheers
GG

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Nostradamus or Thomas Watson? Jul 26, 2010

Only time will tellicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

French to Polish
+ ...
Nostradamus vs GG Jul 26, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Only time will tellicon_wink.gif

Normally, I'm right at 70-80%.
Still damn worse than Nostradamus who is the bestest of all the times icon_smile.gif

Of course, I'm not enough skilled to make prophecies about Idiom, Language Weaver etc. but I'm quite good about the standard releases, so I expect rather Trados 2010 icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Wishful thinking etc. Jul 27, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

This would cut off the new users from jobs "to be delivered as ttx". A few years ago such move would force outsourcers and everyone else to move to sdlxliff, now it would rather herd them toward MemoQ and other solutions... I hope they are smarter than that, at least the previous "temporary 2007" debacle should teach them something.

I dunno.
I suppose you underestimate the power of the wishful thinking at SDL.
Just take a look on the ill brained Multiterm case.
  • The initial Multiterm 2009 version launched was of course incompatible with the precedent versions, including the Multiterm server client function (IMO it was the only one factor which forced.SDL to react because of the corporate customers).
  • The side by side installation for Multiterm 2007 and 2009 was allowed almost half of the year later, with the SP1, of course you can't run 'em simultaneously (as I expected, the Multiterm guys are simply unable to manage concurrent versions of their buggy stuff).
  • Even after SP2, approx. a year after the initial release, when you run Workbench, the terminology recognition in Studio is broken (a workaround was posted in the KB as a typical example of the DIY approach).

If it was planned, it makes no sense.
Logically, they were persuaded the switch will be made instantly, the Multiterm 2009 Desktop will connect to Multiterm 2007 servers by telepathy and nobody will complain.

In a similar way, paradoxally, Workbench 2007 (both TTX and bilingual Word workflows) is a problem for SDL because it was already sold, it's too generalized and too compatible with other CAT tools.
As the latest SP (SP3 aka 2007 Suite) was published two years ago, most translation offices have already installed it, so the usual TTX version (in)compatibility hell is no longer a common issue (really, I have no major data exchange problems, even with the InDesign files).
This quite predictable wide platform is probably the biggest concurence for the Studio growth.
The escape forward is the only way to get further revenues even if it opens the door for memoQ and others.

Besides I was under impression that 2009 relied on 2007 for some functions other than export to ttx (alignment?).

They simply had no time and published Studio in hurry (and in a beta-like state) in order to meet the deadlines imposed by the marketing.

But of course this might be solved if the relevant features are added to the new version.

As Workbench and Co must be killed, they'll do it as soon as possible.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long can I wait before upgrading from SDL 2006?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search