monolingual word files in Trados, importing partially translated word documents
Thread poster: Nora Radacsi

Nora Radacsi
Hungary
Local time: 03:36
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2010

I have started using Trados Studio 2009. I get an error message that the word file I am trying to import is bilingual and only monolingual files are supported. I have tried to find the setting to modify this in word but failed. Can anyone advise on this?

My other question is if I have a partially translated word file (translated without a program) how can I import that in my project?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
bilingual or mixed languages? Jul 26, 2010

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a bilingual error.

I don't have any problems opening and translating a word file that has sentences in different languages. Usually I just ignore the ones I don't have to translate (i.e. leave the target segment empty so that they remain in the original language).

Is it possible that you are trying to open a bilingual word file that has been translated in Trados 2007 or an earlier version? I can understand that Studio wouldn't like that sort of file...

mmccall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:36
Member (2010)
German to English
Same Issue Aug 24, 2010

I am having the same error and issue. I do believe part of the file was translated using Trados 2007 and I am using 2009, so I do think that that is the issue.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio cannot process documents pretranslated in Word Aug 24, 2010

If you are trying to import a bilingual Word file that has already been partially translated in Word using Trados Workbench, then it is obvious that Studio will refuse to open such a file.

Studio either opens untranslated source files or pretranslated bilingual files in the formats TTX or SDLXLIFF. Bilingual Word is not supported anymore.

Walter

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:36
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My contrarian habit? Aug 25, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Studio either opens untranslated source files or pretranslated bilingual files in the formats TTX or SDLXLIFF. Bilingual Word is not supported anymore.

Although my reply is likely a contrarian habit, I konw howw to open the partially translated bilingual Word file into Studio 2009. 1) Open Word file in MS Word 2) Press Ctrl+A to select all 3) Select font tab 4) Deselect hidden font attribute option 5) Replace all "" into another character e.g. "_"Save the Word file 6) Open in Studio 2009 as SDLXLIFF. You need to rearrange the Word pretranslated segments after cleaning the SDLXLIFF file e.g. deleting duplicated translation segments. You may not obtain TM easily out of the pretranslated Word file, but this method guides you how to utilize pretranslated segments.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

monolingual word files in Trados, importing partially translated word documents

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search