TM picklist in Workbench
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:51
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Jul 29, 2010

I'm trying to work out how to set up a TM either in 2007 or in Studio with field values that I will be able to see in both applications.

The aim is to share a TM with someone who only has 2007 (whereas I use Studio) and for us both to use the same field values. We could start with an empty TM in either version.

1. I don't know how to set up a picklist in a TM in using Workbench

2. I can't see my picklist in my Studio TM when I export it to tmx and open it in 2007.

I want to be able to filter the TM using the picklist values so that I can export those segments only. This works well in Studio, but I can't manage to do it in 2007.

I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Documentation Jul 29, 2010

Hello Emma,
instead of a lengthy description, I will refer you to the documentation: Translator's Workbench User Guide > page 2-11 and further.

I hope this helps.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Seeing the Studio picklist in workbench. Jul 29, 2010

Thanks Stanislav. It's a long time since I've worked in Workbench so the User Guide is a good idea.

So when I talk about a picklist in Studio, the equivalent would be a list created using attribute fields in workbench?

And why can't I see (or filter for) the picklist created in Studio when I export the TM and open it in Workbench?

Andy Walker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Japanese to English
Use Upgrade Translation Memories option in Studio Jul 29, 2010

Hi Emma

You say that you could start with an empty TM in either T2007 or Studio.

Studio seems to be better at processing files created in 2007 than vice versa. I hope this isn't too obvious a suggestion, but it might be an idea to create your TM with Attribute fields and values in T2007 and then import into Studio or use Upgrade Translation Memories to convert the TM to Studio format.

This latter will preserve the field settings and allow you to filter the TUs later by exporting.

HTHAL

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll start from Wordbench then Jul 29, 2010

Thanks Andy, in that case I'll start from T2007 because then the fields will show up in Studio. I still don't understand why it doesn't work vice versa, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM picklist in Workbench

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search