Trados Suite 2007 on one computer and Studio 2009 on another
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Spanish
Jul 29, 2010

I have Trados Suite 2007 Freelancer edition on my PC, and I have a Studio 2009 license available for upgrading.

I know I can have Trados installed on 2 computers. I purchased a laptop and would like to do just that, but not the same version of Trados. I wish to keep Trados Studio 2007 on my PC and install Studio 2009 on my laptop. This means I do not have a license to return on my laptop, or an activation code for that matter, I have no Trados programs on my laptop, it is virgin.... See more
I have Trados Suite 2007 Freelancer edition on my PC, and I have a Studio 2009 license available for upgrading.

I know I can have Trados installed on 2 computers. I purchased a laptop and would like to do just that, but not the same version of Trados. I wish to keep Trados Studio 2007 on my PC and install Studio 2009 on my laptop. This means I do not have a license to return on my laptop, or an activation code for that matter, I have no Trados programs on my laptop, it is virgin.

I have searched the Knowledge database and asked on the Licensing section of the Support page but I have not found the answer.

Can this be done, and how?
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:20
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
different applications, different licences Jul 29, 2010

Studio and 2007 have separate licences so you can keep 2007 installed on your desktop and install Studio on your laptop without a problem.

I personally would also install 2007 on your laptop too because you might well need it for upgrading TMs, opening ttxs etc. And to swap between machines for this purpose seems a nusiance as you can avoid it.

If you have Studio Freelance Plus you can install it on 2 machines in any case. If you go to your account at SDL you will see t
... See more
Studio and 2007 have separate licences so you can keep 2007 installed on your desktop and install Studio on your laptop without a problem.

I personally would also install 2007 on your laptop too because you might well need it for upgrading TMs, opening ttxs etc. And to swap between machines for this purpose seems a nusiance as you can avoid it.

If you have Studio Freelance Plus you can install it on 2 machines in any case. If you go to your account at SDL you will see the number of licences you are using / have available at any time.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Return license? Jul 29, 2010

Thanks, Emma. I bet it was possible but I am confused by the whole process about returning the license, because there is no license installed on my laptop and never was. All I see is 1 upgrade available. And if the upgrade is for my PC I don't want to waste it on my laptop.

[Edited at 2010-07-29 15:43 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:20
French to German
+ ...
Upgrading will require returning your license Jul 29, 2010

Luisa

I agree that the process is not very intuitive. Emma is right when she says that 2007 and 2009 use different licenses. The problem is that when you purchase an upgrade from 2007 to 2009, you get two licenses: one for 2009 and one for 2007 (because you need both on the same PC to migrate your TMs, as Emma correctly pointed out).
However, in order to receive the new licenses, you need first to return your existing 2007 license. Unless you do this, you will not receive the
... See more
Luisa

I agree that the process is not very intuitive. Emma is right when she says that 2007 and 2009 use different licenses. The problem is that when you purchase an upgrade from 2007 to 2009, you get two licenses: one for 2009 and one for 2007 (because you need both on the same PC to migrate your TMs, as Emma correctly pointed out).
However, in order to receive the new licenses, you need first to return your existing 2007 license. Unless you do this, you will not receive the new 2007 license. This means that you have to (temporarily) return your 2007 license. This is done from the computer where 2007 is installed (launch the License Manager and click on 'Return license'). Once you have returned your existing 2007 license, you will see two new licenses in your customer account, one for Studio 2009 and one for SDL Trados 2007 Suite. Use the 2007 code to reactivate your existing 2007 installation.

One last but very important detail: as I said, you will need to have both versions installed on the same PC in order to be able to migrate your TMs. It is also important to understand that the 2007 version MUST be the latest build (namely SDL Trados 2007 Suite, which is build 863), otherwise the TM migration will not work. This means that you must upgrade to the very latest version before you can migrate your TMs.

Walter
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
All clear now Jul 29, 2010

Thanks, Walter. Everything is clear now. Even though I will install Studio 9 on my other computer, I still need to return the license from my PC where the software is currently installed, and reactivate it on that very PC afterwards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Suite 2007 on one computer and Studio 2009 on another

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »