Preparing RC files and protecting some terms from being translated
Thread poster: jackmhlin

jackmhlin
Local time: 07:32
Jul 30, 2010

Hello,

I have a RC file to translate in Trados TagEditor, but I want to protect some specific terms from being translated accidentally. Those terms (like "Static", "Check1", "Dialog", etc.) obviously should not be translated. Are there any ways that we can mark up some terms so that those terms are treated as untranslatable in TagEditor?

I know Trados uses the RC Filter Setting file "RCFilter_1_0_0_0.xml" to convert RC file to the translation file in TagEditor. It seems that only some shortcut terms with ampersands, or some placeholders like "%s" are protected as internal tags. What if I want to protect some other terms mentioned above from being translated, is that feasible?

Thanks in advance!

[SDL Trados 2007 Suite Professional; SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:32
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't think so, but... Jul 30, 2010

You could do that in Word with Search & Replace or Select all and applying the tw4wininternal style. You can't do that in TE, but the terms you mention are usually independent strings. Consequently, you could make a list of them in Word, "translate" them with a new TM, and then auto-translate your TTX files with that TM (preferably using colours if they work with RC files). The strings will not be protected, but the fact that they are already segmented will be a good indication that they shoud not be translated.

jackmhlin
Local time: 07:32
TOPIC STARTER
untranslatable terms within a sentence? Jul 30, 2010

Hello Adam,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

But what if those specific terms appear in a sentence, would it be possible to mark those terms with Trados internal tag in TagEditor by using some DTD setting files (INI)? Or there are ways to handle those untranslatable terms in a sentence?

Thanks again.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Just an idea Jul 30, 2010

You might want to try changing those strings in the source files. For example, you could put them between < an > or & and ; to make them appear as tags or entities. Afterwards, you could remove them in the target files.

However, it would probably be easier to use RTF files instead. There is a macro in the Trados template called tw4winPrepareRC.Main that you could use. After that you could mark those strings with the tw4winInternal style using Search and Replace or Find and Select all.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about remembering? Jul 30, 2010

Indeed I know exactly what you mean about the RC files. Translating a "Dialog" or "Static" too many can have unexpected results, like an application crashing (I have seen it myself).

Now, after localising a ton of RC files with Trados, I must really wonder whether my initial work of spotting, marking-up and excluding these little strings were really worth the effort. After a while, I decided to keep an eye on them and ascertain their nature only when they were encountered. I stopped looking for them in a systematic manner before any resource project, instructed everyone involved about these strings and their dangers, and in the end saved time, which is our most precious resource!

This is one of these situations in which obsession for marking up everything can be against your interest, in my opinion...icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing RC files and protecting some terms from being translated

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search