Thread poster: Ivan Tobias

Ivan Tobias  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
Slovak to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2010

Hi,

I have a question/query regarding excel running in Trados and I hope that someone will know what to do.

I have an Excel file with a translation where one column is the source language and the column next to it is the target language. However it's a massive file (talking about several tens of thousands words), which makes it very difficult to ensure consistency using just Excel. Therefore, I would want to open this file in Trados (TagEditor) so that each source would have its corresponding translation as it is in this Excel file. Then I could easily go through the entire file a see what's what.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

Ivan

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:32
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide source column Jul 31, 2010

Open your file in Excel, copy your source text column into the target column. Hide your source text column, save and then open it in Tag Editor.
Your source text will then be preserved.

United Kingdom
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
in the same column? Jul 31, 2010

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your swift response to my post.

Let me recap what you want me to do. You want me to highlight the entire source column and copy it into the target column. Could you please tell me where in the target column? Above the target text, below it? How will Trados recognise the difference between the source and the target and how will it then assign target to each corresponding source?
BTW, what do you mean by "hiding the source text column"? That won't exist any more once I copy it into the target one, will it?

Looking forward to your clarification...

Cheers

Ivan

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Isn't the target column empty? Jul 31, 2010

In that case I don't understand what you mean.
I thought you had source text in one column and an empty column next door where you want to insert the translation.
Are you saying you have already got the translation in the target column and you want to revise it? Have you got the translation in a TM?

United Kingdom
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
explanation Jul 31, 2010

Yes, I do have both. The Excel file has the source text in one column and the target text in another column. Basically, the translation was done in Excel where someone translated text in the source column to the column next to it (the target column). There is no translation memory. But since the file is huge, I would want to open it in Trados whilst preserving both, the source and the corresponding target text. Is that possible?

Regards

Ivan

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Ah... Jul 31, 2010

...so you have a bilingual excel file that you can't open as such in Tag Editor.

The only thing I can think of is separating the columns into 2 separate excel files (source column in one file, target column in the other) and then aligning them with Winalign. That way you would could populate a TM with your translation. Then you could translate the file with the source column in it, but preparing it as I mentioned in my first reply (copy your source text column into the target column. Hide your source text column, save and then open it in Tag Editor.).
You would use your new TM to get a ttx with source and target segments and then you could revise it in Tag Editor.

It sounds quite laborious, but I think it's a possible solution.

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:32
English to Latvian
Creating a TM Jul 31, 2010

This will help you to easily create a TM from the source and the target text: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155516-trados_translation_memory.html
Next step is up to your imagination.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-07-31 09:54 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use Olifant Jul 31, 2010

Ivan Tobias wrote:

Yes, I do have both. The Excel file has the source text in one column and the target text in another column. Basically, the translation was done in Excel where someone translated text in the source column to the column next to it (the target column). There is no translation memory. But since the file is huge, I would want to open it in Trados whilst preserving both, the source and the corresponding target text. Is that possible?

Regards

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

One solution that might be useful for you would be to save the excel file as a tab delimited file and then create an empty TM using Olifant that you can import the two column tab delimited file into.

Then save the file as a TMX so you can bring it easily into your Trados application (2007 or 2009).

Edited after : I forgot a bit. Create a TM in one language direct in Trados and import the TMX, then create another TM in the opposite language direction and import the same TMX.

Now hide the target column and open the excel file and translate the source. When you are done save the target file. Now hide the source column in the newly translated excel file and translate the target with the other TM. Once you are done save the target file and now you have a fully checked excel file.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-07-31 12:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-31 12:22 GMT]

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
WordFast Pro Jul 31, 2010

Although I do understand that it is not the right time to change to another tool, FYI: WordFast Pro is (to my knowledge) the only CAT tool which allows to define source and target columns in an Excel file, and which will automatically produce the Excel output file with the source AND translated text in the right columns.
I have not experimented with partially translated files, but this should work to!
Usually, when I have to translate in a multi-column Excel file, I turn to WordFast Pro... It avoids some headaches.

[Edited at 2010-07-31 13:21 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
How do you do that? Jul 31, 2010

Hi Bohy,

I would be very interetsed to know how to do that? I have a copy of Wordfast Pro and as far I was aware you could set a column for the translated text to go (which is a nice feature), but you can't open a file with source and target in it so you can work on the file as a bilingual document.

Am I wrong?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running Excel translation in TRADOS

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search