Trados 2007 Freelance, Word 2003 - Need help getting started with a project
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:49
English to German
Jul 31, 2010

Hi everybody,

Although I worked from time to time with Trados, I have a real problem getting started with a new project now.

For the project, I had to download several TMs as well as Multiterms. All have the format .mdb and I don't know how to import them correctly (and all of them at the same time?) into TW.

Your urgent help to a relative layman would be very much appreciated!

Annett

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You need SDLX Jul 31, 2010

Hi Annett,

I think you have been given TM's for an SDLX project. If you have SDLX as part of SDL Trados 2007 then you can open the TM's in there. As you mentioned that you only work from time to time with Trados then if you are familiar with SDLX my advice would be to do the work in SDLX seeing as the TM's came from there. But if you would rather use Workbench and one of the 2007 editing environments then you could export the TM from SDLX as a TMX and then import that into a Trados TM to work with.

If you have Studio you can upgrade the mdb TM to an SDLTM and work on the translation without having to make any intermediate steps.

Regards

Paul

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
That's interesting Jul 31, 2010

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. I will try that immediately. However, I am now very confused as I have received in the P.O. the instruction "Files in ITD files to be translated in SDL Trados", so might it be possible that they expect me to proceed as you suggested? (First convert it?).

I would like to add that I have also the instructions to run a grammar check, to perform SDL NumCheck, SDL Trados QA Check. Is it really possible that the agency expects me first to convert all files, TMs as well as MultiTerms from an SDLX-format into SDL Trados? Wouldn't they have specified it in their P.O.? (I stated that I don't have that much experience with Trados).

Annett

P.S. I've got another question: is it principally possible to work with several TMs + MultiTerms at the same time? Until now, I have had only one TM to work with (on another project).

[Edited at 2010-07-31 19:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-31 19:26 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Answers Jul 31, 2010

although I'm not Paul, I hope to give you the answers you need:

Annett Hieber wrote:

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. I will try that immediately. However, I am now very confused as I have received in the P.O. the instruction "Files in ITD files to be translated in SDL Trados", so might it be possible that they expect me to proceed as you suggested? (First convert it?).

ITD files can be processed with all of the following SDL Trados tools:
- SDLX (native format)
- SDL Trados TagEditor (builds 756 and later)
- SDL Trados Studio 2009

I would like to add that I have also the instructions to run a grammar check, to perform SDL NumCheck, SDL Trados QA Check. Is it really possible that the agency expects me first to convert all files, TMs as well as MultiTerms from an SDLX-format into SDL Trados? Wouldn't they have specified it in their P.O.? (I stated that I don't have that much experience with Trados).

In this case, I would recommend using either SDLX or Studio. Anyway, if you decide using Studio (which has even better QA checking capabilities than SDLX), I would suggest that you check this with the agency first.

P.S. I've got another question: is it principally possible to work with several TMs + MultiTerms at the same time? Until now, I have had only one TM to work with (on another project).

In Studio, you can use as many TMs and (MultiTerm) glossaries as you like. Simply add them to the project.

I hope this helps.

[Upraveno: 2010-07-31 19:58 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados ? Jul 31, 2010

Hi Annett,

"SDL Trados" in the instructions leaves things a little open I think. SDL Trados 2007 comes with SDLX and Trados Workbench (and associated tools) so based on this rather open instruction, and the fact they are ITD files and MDB TM's I would use SDLX.

I just noticed Stans's post and I would also agree with his approach and if I owned it I would use Studio in preference to any of the 2007 toolsets.

On the multiple TM's and Termbases. In SDLX you can use multiple TM's and Termbases as well as being able to do this in Studio. You cannot do this in Workbench.

Regards

Paul

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jul 31, 2010

Thank you all for your help! It worked in SDLX (as I haven't Studio 2009 yet).

Have a nice weekend.

Annett

[Edited at 2010-07-31 21:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 Freelance, Word 2003 - Need help getting started with a project

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search