Austria
Local time: 21:45
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
Aug 1, 2010

Hi,

Stupid question but still:

Can I align to files that were not translated with Trados or any other CAT tool?

e.g. I have to excel sheets containing word lists in various languages and want to align them but get errors all the time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Yes because you align monolingual files Aug 1, 2010

The alignment tool takes as input two monolingual documents. It does not matter how they have been created, as long as they are in one of the supported formats. There is no relation with a CAT tool at this point in time.

So, if you have 2 Excel files with the same structure where one is the translation of the other one, you can align them without any problem.

What kind of error did you get when you tried this?

Walter

Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
depending on format Aug 1, 2010

txt: "(70158): The provided document is not valid or the plugin architecture has not been properly set up."

xlsx: 'Error 70157 This document could not be converted properly'

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:45
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL align Aug 1, 2010

I often use SDLX align program, not Trados Winalign.

The reason is quite clear, it gives me Excel table-like alignment of translation segments. It also prevent me from error and slowness out of WinAlign program that can crash upon wrong command combinations.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry soonthon Aug 1, 2010

but cannot see the connection to my question...

ok, found this one which helped:

Try this...

Hello,

Try saving the files as ttx in TagEditor (go to "Save Bilingual As...") and then aligning them.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-01 15:11 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It was a very good suggestion Aug 1, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I often use SDLX align program, not Trados Winalign.

I think that Soonthon's suggestion is a very pertinent one! Indeed SDLX provides a simpler and clearer interface to alignment.

As for the problems expressed with specific file formats, they could be caused by a number of reasons. Maybe you want to try to install the software you use to create or open those files, as there could be wrong registry entries causing the problems in Trados.

Maybe SDLX's alignment tool works better with your Excel files.

If the strings in your Excel files have the same positions (i.e. if term in row 12 of your source file has a translation in row 12 of the target file etc. etc.), you can also try to create an uncleaned Word file from the Excel files. It is not a very long process. Just let us know if this is your situation.

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
checked sdlx Aug 1, 2010

as I didn't know there was an aligment tool integrated... I managed to import the files there but I don't know how to work with that tool...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's all just positional Aug 1, 2010

Pascal Zotto wrote:
as I didn't know there was an aligment tool integrated... I managed to import the files there but I don't know how to work with that tool...

OK. It's been some time since I used SDLX last time for alignment, but just bear in mind that, unlike WinAlign, the segments in SDLX are really aligned visually. After the process, you will have the same number of source and target lines on screen, and each line on the left column will match the translation on the right column.

I.e. you join, split, delete segments so that the source item on the left hand-side appears on the same row as the target translation in the right hand-side. I think you have most actions in the context right-click menu, and also shortcuts you can use when you are done. It is most intuitive. You might want to check its online help for a basic workflow.

[Edited at 2010-08-01 15:29 GMT]

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
would be a good tool Aug 1, 2010

if it worked with shortcuts... -> send segment to top or end

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

winalign

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search