Dennis Tietz
Dennis Tietz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:27
English to German
+ ...
Aug 1, 2010

Hello,

I'm using Trados 2009 (30 days trial version). I downloaded the 30 days trial version of MS Office 2010 to be be able to work with Excel files in Trados. Everytime I try to open an excel file for translation in Trados, however, I get an error message advising me to save my file as xlsx before feeding it into Trados. So I do as I'm told using Office 2010. I then receive another error message telling me that this file wasn't created with Office 2007 implying that I may want to
... See more
Hello,

I'm using Trados 2009 (30 days trial version). I downloaded the 30 days trial version of MS Office 2010 to be be able to work with Excel files in Trados. Everytime I try to open an excel file for translation in Trados, however, I get an error message advising me to save my file as xlsx before feeding it into Trados. So I do as I'm told using Office 2010. I then receive another error message telling me that this file wasn't created with Office 2007 implying that I may want to install that version of Office on my computer.

Does it really boil down to Excel 2010 not being compatible with Trados 2009 (SP2)? If so, would you recommend to buy Office 2007 instead and upgrade later to 2010 once SDL has fixed compatibility problems?

Or do you know a way around this issue? Any advice is highly appreciated as I would like to continue working with Trados once my trial period is over and need to translate from Excel files quite often.

Btw, I'm usually working with Open Office spreadsheets. Unfortunately, they are incompatible with Trados as well. Or aren't they?

Many thanks in advance,
Dennis
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Aug 1, 2010

Hello Dennis,
some replies - hopefully correct - to your questions:

Does it really boil down to Excel 2010 not being compatible with Trados 2009 (SP2)? If so, would you recommend to buy Office 2007 instead and upgrade later to 2010 once SDL has fixed compatibility problems?

AFAIK, Studio should be compatible with the next Service Pack (SP3).

Btw, I'm usually working with Open Office spreadsheets. Unfortunately, they are incompatible with Trados as well. Or aren't they?

Trados (since version 8.xx) should be fully compatible with OpenOffice Write and Calc documents. If these don't open in your copy of Trados, there is probably a different problem somewhere else.

Dennis Tietz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OpenOffice Aug 1, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

thanks for your answers.

SDL Trados 2009 Freelance Edition may be fully compatible with OpenOffice Write and Calc documents, but the free trial version unfortunately isn't - as I had to realise just now. An error message popped up again telling me that Trados 2007 needs to be installed to process OO documents. Unfortunately, it is only included in the full Freelance edition.

Just thought I'd let you and anyone else who came across the same p
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

thanks for your answers.

SDL Trados 2009 Freelance Edition may be fully compatible with OpenOffice Write and Calc documents, but the free trial version unfortunately isn't - as I had to realise just now. An error message popped up again telling me that Trados 2007 needs to be installed to process OO documents. Unfortunately, it is only included in the full Freelance edition.

Just thought I'd let you and anyone else who came across the same problem with the trial version know.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Open Office Aug 1, 2010

Hi Dennis,

OpenOffice documents currently use the 2007 filters whether you are using the full edition, the trial edition or the Starter edition.

Regards

Paul

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Office 2010 is not yet fully supported Aug 1, 2010

Studio 2009 has only preliminary support for Office 2010, full support will be included in the next release. However, the limitations are very small.

The problem you mention with Excel files has been solved in one of the last cumulative updates, so I suggest you make sure you install Cumulative Update 5 and your problem should go away.

Walter

Dennis Tietz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2010 Aug 2, 2010

Hi Walter,

thanks for your suggestion. Cumulative Update 5 for Office 2010 or Trados 2009? I got results for both.

Best, Dennis

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
... for Studio 2009 Aug 2, 2010

Dennis

I am only aware of a 'Cumulative Update 5' for SDL Trados Studio 2009. AFAIK, there is no update yet from Microsoft for Office 2010.

If you got this result by googling, then I guess it is because the 'Cumulative Update 5' of Trados includes preliminary support for Office 2010.

You'll find all the details in KB article 3135.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility Trados 2009 and Excel 2010

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »