Thread poster: Cinzia Lazzari

Cinzia Lazzari
Germany
Local time: 02:35
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2010

Dear all,

can somebody tell me how I can filter out numbers during the word counting function in TRADOS 2009.
I just do want to filter out the numbers since I do not have to translate them.
The client wishes a report where he can see the exact number of words - without numbers.

Thanks.

Cinzia

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-01 17:31 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-01 20:23 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:35
English
Translation Count Report Aug 1, 2010

Hi Cinzia,

You can get close in Studio using the Translation Count Report. This report seperates the counts into;

• Segments
  • Words
  • Characters
  • Placeables
  • Tags

The Placeables are untranslatable elements, such as tags, graphics, numbers and fields. If you deduct the number of tags from the total of placeables then you will be left with the numbers.

I played with this a little and it seems to work on the simple examples I gave myself. If you have problems with this report back and we can take a better look.

Regards

Paul

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:35
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Be careful with Workbench settings Aug 2, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
The Placeables are untranslatable elements, such as tags, graphics, numbers and fields. If you deduct the number of tags from the total of placeables then you will be left with the numbers.
I played with this a little and it seems to work on the simple examples I gave myself. If you have problems with this report back and we can take a better look.
Regards
Paul

In one job to a Japanese firm via one Chinese agency, we had dispute on work counts. I had been paid continuously by counting with MS Word that gave larger counts than Trados. The jobs were not translated with Trados. One day, the Chinese agency told that I would be paid for the last jobs by counting with Trados. This was not reasonable and I discontinued the newer assignments. I also use Trados to count words to recheck those of the agency. I found that word counts changed with Workbench setting on tags, placeables, options, tag DTD files etc. This has been a very good finding to me.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
you will be left with the numbers Mar 14, 2011

...you will be left with the numbers... I wonder, what it stands for? I mean, what measuring unit is used in the columns Placeables and Tags? It seems to me that it does not count each character within the number, but entire number as one. I.e. 1 and 1000000000 both go as 1 and 1 (counting by word), but not 1 and 10 (counting by characters)? Or am I wrong?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2009 - Word counting function - Filter out numbers

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search