how to create a termbase, .mtw
Thread poster: atsumi

atsumi
Japan
Local time: 09:51
Aug 2, 2010

Could anyone help me out? I ve been struggling to create a termbase from (xml, xls, or txt).
The termbase will be used for Terminology Recognition Options(Multiterm5).

First of all, what software should I use to create it?

SDL MultiTerm
SDL MultiTerm Convert
SDL MultiTerm Extract

I appreciate your reply.

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:51
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SDL Trados Aug 2, 2010

Hello,

You should use SDL Trados.

Kind regards,
Maya

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:51
French to German
+ ...
If you have a glossary, use Multiterm Convert Aug 2, 2010

Atsumi

I you already have a bilingual glossary, in a Excel or CSV format, you can use Multiterm Convert to create your termbase.

MT Convert will allow you to define the structure of your termbase and will transform the content of your glossary into an XML file, which you can then import into your termbase in Multiterm.

I suggest however that you spend some to read the documentation in order to understand the basic concepts and be able to define your termbase structure and adapt your Excel input file so that it contains the information in the appropriate format.

Walter

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
.. Convert perhaps Aug 2, 2010

Hello Maya,

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Hello,

äh?

Atsumi has already narrowed down the options correctly to the tools, which handle terms.

Perhaps you meant SDL MultiTerm Convert, which would be the correct choice, provided as Walter says, that an Excel file with all terms is available, or missed the last part of the posting?

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-08-02 10:49 GMT]

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
German to English
Do the advanced level online training Aug 2, 2010

Hi,

I suggest you do the advanced level online training session, which has a section on MultiTerm and how to create a termbase from an Excel file. The reason I'm advising this, is because the trainer will demonstrate how exactly to do this, which really helps as it is not that simple. If you do not lay out your Excel file correctly, for example, MultiTerm will not convert it or import the entries correctly.

Unfortunately, the next online training at this level on the ProZ platform is only on 1st September, but maybe there's a video on the SDL site or somewhere else - I suggest you do a web search to find out, but I do think you should see an experienced Trados user going through the steps.

Here is the link to the ProZ/SDL Trados session on 1st September, just in case you're interested:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/3641-translator-s-workbench-advanced-sdl-trados-certification-level-3

Regards,
Niraja

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why MultiTerm 5? Aug 2, 2010

atsumi wrote:

Could anyone help me out? I ve been struggling to create a termbase from (xml, xls, or txt).
The termbase will be used for Terminology Recognition Options(Multiterm5).

I think that nobody has picked on it but why does it have to be MultiTerm 5?

Do you have to use it in this format?

Daniel

atsumi
Japan
Local time: 09:51
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 3, 2010

I am so impressed to see the quick response from all of you, thank you. Yes, I have a glossary in xls but not sure if formatted in Multiterm Convert requirement. I will start reading that section first as everybody suggested. I will come back here again with more specific questions to get your help. Thank you.

[Edited at 2010-08-03 00:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-03 00:29 GMT]

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:51
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hello Giuliana, Aug 3, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hello Maya,

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Hello,

äh?

Atsumi has already narrowed down the options correctly to the tools, which handle terms.

Perhaps you meant SDL MultiTerm Convert, which would be the correct choice, provided as Walter says, that an Excel file with all terms is available, or missed the last part of the posting?

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-08-02 10:49 GMT]

I moved this topic from other forum. Atsumi did not knew where to post. So this was an explanation why I moved his topic here. I hope the site community will help him.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Have a look here Aug 3, 2010

Despite my explanation in Russian the screenshots are rather self-explanative.

http://tam.proz.com/forum/russian/104908-html

[Edited at 2010-08-03 10:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create a termbase, .mtw

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search