Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Advice for a TRADOS beginner: 2007 or 2009?
Thread poster: Natalya Sogolovsky
Natalya Sogolovsky
Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:25
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jillian, Aug 3, 2010

it's good to know. There many special demands concerning the translation format and it's getting increasingly difficult to follow all of them.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
French to Polish
+ ...
Feature matrix... irony of the market Aug 3, 2010

NataSogo wrote:

it is very interesting to read about different points of view on the subject. I understand there are always "pros" and "contras" in this matter

Yes, it's no ideal tool and the savvy choice of the "right"one may depend of a lot of factors.
E.g. I can easily point functions which still make T2007 superior e.g. you can edit the source text in order to correct a typo or "join" unjoinable segments (i.e. transfer manually some text across the paragraph boundary).

So, when I say DVX or memoQ are superior, it means they are superior for me because of some features which are crucial for me. e.g. the statistical project analysis in DVX.
Nonetheless some of these features are incontestably better, e.g. the way the sorting and filtering works in Trados is really poor if compared to the relational data base engines of DVX or memoQ.
Of course, DVX has points I consider a crap, e.g. the tag representation is usually a pain in the neck for most users but I can stand this crap

but your recommendations helped me find out what they are. I will now start working on it and bugging you with questions.

Yep
Generally, the advice to start with T2009 seems logic 'cause this environment is simply better but you'll need to be aware of T2007, mainly because of the customers.
I think it's an irony of the market the first innovative Trados branded solution after many, many years of stagnation is simply rejected by a lot of translation offices which tend rather to find cheaper replacement tools.
And, as you see, cheaper is not necessarily worse

Cheers
GG

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Advice on how to work with older formats Aug 3, 2010

NataSogo wrote:

it's good to know. There many special demands concerning the translation format and it's getting increasingly difficult to follow all of them.

Hello Natalya,

There is a guide, freely available, that explains how to handle some of these different bilingual workflow requirements and you can get it here;

http://tinyurl.com/2veb8hv

Regards

Paul

Natalya Sogolovsky
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grzegorz, Aug 3, 2010

I think (still as an outsider for CAT) that there are things that better be done in this particular program, and others that better be done in another one. I wish I could learn at least several in order to find this out. I understand though that it's a matter of time and money and I'll hardly be able to get acquainted with more than 2-3 (and even that is a lot!)

I believe there is also a matter of a translator's falling in love with a program he/she began using first...
See more
I think (still as an outsider for CAT) that there are things that better be done in this particular program, and others that better be done in another one. I wish I could learn at least several in order to find this out. I understand though that it's a matter of time and money and I'll hardly be able to get acquainted with more than 2-3 (and even that is a lot!)

I believe there is also a matter of a translator's falling in love with a program he/she began using first), which is quite understandable.

There will never be a perfect solution here...

Thank you!
Collapse

Natalya Sogolovsky
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paul, Aug 3, 2010

thank you for the useful links you sent.
I'm looking forward to participating in one of your training sessions.

Natasha

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Labor of love Aug 3, 2010

NataSogo wrote:

I believe there is also a matter of a translator's falling in love with a program he/she began using first), which is quite understandable.

There will never be a perfect solution here...

Definitely! There is no one perfect program - each has its advantages and disadvantages. I would still advise to just have a look at demo versions, at least - you don't have to learn all the details, but you will have a general idea about their workings.

Check if the given program has a short tutorial or walkthrough, so you could get started and translate a short sample document.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for a TRADOS beginner: 2007 or 2009?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »