variables through "quick place" or "auto suggest"?
Thread poster: Dawid Mazela, MA, MCIL

Dawid Mazela, MA, MCIL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:38
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2010

Is there any way to insert user defined variables through "quick place" or "auto suggest" feature? So far I've added untranslatable items such as proper names to my termbases in order to avoid constant retyping. However, I'm pretty sure that there is some other way to do it in Trados 2009.

[Edited at 2010-08-02 16:41 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
AutoText or MultiTerm Aug 2, 2010

Hi Dawid,

There are two ways, other than them being in your TM already when you generated your AutoSuggest Dictionary.

The first is to add them to your AutoText entries. You can find this in Tools - Options - AutoSuggest - AutoText. If you have a lot you can do this quickly in a text editor with copy and paste or even from a spreadsheet and then import the file to save doing them one at a time through Studio.

The other way is to do what you are doing now and that is to add them to a termbase. In some ways this is easier because you can also keep adding terms directly as you work. This is not possible in AutoText yet.

Both of these options will present relevant "hits" in the AutoSuggest as you work in addition to subbsegment matching from your AutoSuggest Dictionary.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Proper names are the perfect candidate for the language resources Variables list Aug 2, 2010

Names as BMW, Mercedes, ABS and so on should be placed there.
If you think about the following:

Merecedes cars are equipped with ESP system.
BMW cars are equipped wit DSC system.

Those sentences deliver usualy a hig percentage fuzzy match. However, if you enter "BMW, Mercedes, ESP, DSC" in your variables list (via TM - Settings - Language resources) the second one will be a 100% match or it will be counted as repetition.

regards
jerzy

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your posts. Aug 2, 2010

Sadly enough, I'm aware of all the mentioned methods for handling proper names. It's a shame that Trados Studio doesn't allow variables to be defined as you go in the editor view (just like Multiterm entries) and make them accessible through autotext. Using Multiterm for this purpose is inefficient since you have to add two terms that are obviously identical and then you still have to enter them in the variable list.

When it comes to autotext, it is an extremely useful feature. Having generated my first autosuggest dictionary, I can say it from personal experience. However, it is useless in small and medium projects and cannot replace fundamental features such as variable handling and discussed some time ago automated concordance search.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The best method for this is the variables list Aug 2, 2010

Hi Dawid

Given that you are talking about recurring variables such as proper names or product names, I would strongly support Jerzy's suggestion to include those in the 'Variable list' of the Language Resources. In my eyes this is the best method because Studio will always flag them as 'placeables', meaning that you can simply transfer those items from source to target using CTRL-comma.
It is very easy to add terms to this list of variables, it can even be done while you are working on a document by going to the Project Settings - then to the appropriate TM and to the settings of this TM.

It is in my eyes an extremely useful, although (still) not well-known, feature. I have added already added a lot of terms such as 'Windows', 'Linux' or "Big Mac', 'Facebook' etc. to the list of variables of my TMs.

Good luck.

Walter

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it does not seem to work that way Aug 3, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:
I would strongly support Jerzy's suggestion to include those in the 'Variable list' of the Language Resources. In my eyes this is the best method because Studio will always flag them as 'placeables', meaning that you can simply transfer those items from source to target using CTRL-comma.

It would be perfect, but in my case Trados does not offer items from Variable list as placeables. I have added a few terms, but they cannot be accessed from the editor. I do not have any problems with other items inserted with autotext or quickplace such as terms, numbers or formatting. Am I doing something wrong?

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AutoText does not work Aug 4, 2010

I have just realized that the AutoText function does not work either, even though it is checked as one of the AutoSuggest providers (along with AutoSuggest dictionaries and termbases). I have entered a few items to the target AutoText list, but to no avail.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

variables through "quick place" or "auto suggest"?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search