https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177032-will_alternative_segmentations_be_checked_during_analysis.html

Will alternative segmentations be checked during analysis?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 4, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I'm analysing a large ttx file against a TM which contains an earlier translation of a similar text. While translating this earlier text, I expanded and shrank a lot of segments. My question is: Will Trados find these matches in the new ttx (where obviously no segments have been expanded or shrunken yet) as well, or will it only check the standard segmentation?

Thanks for any hints about this!

Best regards,
Erik

PS.: I'm
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm analysing a large ttx file against a TM which contains an earlier translation of a similar text. While translating this earlier text, I expanded and shrank a lot of segments. My question is: Will Trados find these matches in the new ttx (where obviously no segments have been expanded or shrunken yet) as well, or will it only check the standard segmentation?

Thanks for any hints about this!

Best regards,
Erik

PS.: I'm using TagEditor 8.2.0.835.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-04 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Only default segmentation... memoQ... Aug 4, 2010

efreitag wrote:

No, only the default segmentation will be used.
So, you'll receive only fuzzies or nothing at all.

Probably the best tool here is memoQ.
Although the first analysis will not take in account the modified segmentation, the pretranslation permits to leverage the manual changes made in the precedent project (the segments are expanded/shrunken automatically), the second analysis will be much closer to the reality.
Generally, it works well although the leverage may not be perfect at 100%.

Cheers
GG

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 5, 2010

Thanks a lot, Grzegorz!

That's what I suspected, but I was hoping there might be some trick...

Regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will alternative segmentations be checked during analysis?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »