SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
English
Aug 5, 2010

Dear all,

We wanted to share an announcement with you that we will be emailing later this week to all owners of SDL Trados 2006/2007 who have not yet upgraded to SDL Trados Studio 2009.

We are adding a complimentary 6-month licence for our new SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition to these accounts so that they will be able to work with Studio Projects sent by your Corporate or Agency clients without having to engage in workarounds with the older toolsets.

Although in Starter you will not be able to use your old translation memories (you would need the Freelance version to do that), you will be able to use the Starter edition for translating your own files and start building your own new Translation Memories. In this edition each Translation memory is limited to approximately 50,000 words, which should be enough to give you a feel for it. If you are offered the chance to translate a package created in Studio then some of these restrictions are lifted, but the Starter Edition doesn’t give you the power of the full release.

At any point throughout the 6 months you will be able to renew the subscription to Starter for another year or you can upgrade your existing copy of SDL Trados 2006 or 2007 to the full SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance edition.

There is a good introductory Studio video - http://downloadcentre.sdl.com/SDL_Trados/studio2009trial/beginners-guide.swf - which will show you how to start translating. Although this is useful to get you up and running quickly, plan on taking a week or so before you really start feeling at home in Studio’s new translation environment. We think you’ll find it time worth spent. Those who have already made the switch are reporting significant productivity increases, typically in the range of 10 to 30 percent.

So take this opportunity to try Starter out. It’s easy. There are no forms to fill. Just visit your account, download it, activate the license and you should be working in Studio in no time at all. Activating this additional license for you does not impact or restrict your existing SDL Trados licences in any way.

Regards

Paul

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What after that? Aug 6, 2010

What happens when the 6-month period runs out? Can I safely revert to Trados 2007?

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No reverting per se (two different applications) Aug 6, 2010

Hello,

you need to have (keep) your SDL Trados Suite 2007 installed before installing SE or any other Studio version. You can use both parallely, so there is no reverting, as it is no upgrade of previous versions, but a new application.

You simply de-install Studio and all its components.

Giuliana

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No Multiterm, no problem :) Aug 6, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

you need to have (keep) your SDL Trados Suite 2007 installed before installing SE or any other Studio version. You can use both parallely, so there is no reverting, as it is no upgrade of previous versions, but a new application.

Yes.
AFAIK, they don't share any settings, unlike the precedent Trados versions and, of course, Multiterm.

Nonetheless, as Multiterm, i.e. the most problematic part of the SDL packages is not shipped with the Studio Starter package, I don't see any problem unless Studio breaks the old Multiterm.
AFAIK only the latest Multiterm 2007 SP is compatible.
I didn't test it with the precedent versions.
I suppose neither the Mutiterm guys did it icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can use both products in parallel Aug 6, 2010

What happens when the 6-month period runs out? Can I safely revert to Trados 2007?

The intention is to give you the possibility to use the product in parallel to your current workflow, e.g. in order to accept jobs from a client that asks you to do the job with Studio and at the same time to get familiar with the product and find out whether you like the product or not without the need to make a financial investment.

This period should be long enough to help you make a decision whether you want to switch to Studio 2009 or whether you want to stick with the current version.

Should you decide to go on working with Trados 2007, there is no problem in doing so as you still own your 2007 license. The only thing that might be recommended is to export your 2009 TM before you stop using the 2009 version, so that you can import it into your 2007 TM.

Walter

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Just to add to this Aug 6, 2010

Hi,

It is worth noting that for the first month after you activate the product the Starter Edition will work as the Professional version. Once the month is up the feature set will revert to that of the Starter Edition. You can find all the differences here;

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2595&p=1

It's important to note this because some things such as TM Maintenance are not available in Starter so if you build a TM and don't export it before the Professional feature set expires for example, then you will not be able to export to TMX and import into your 2007 TM without upgrading to Freelance at least.

Regards

Paul

Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Starter Edition licence cancelled Aug 11, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Dear all,

We wanted to share an announcement with you that we will be emailing later this week to all owners of SDL Trados 2006/2007 who have not yet upgraded to SDL Trados Studio 2009.

We are adding a complimentary 6-month licence for our new SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition to these accounts so that they will be able to work with Studio Projects sent by your Corporate or Agency clients without having to engage in workarounds with the older toolsets.

Hi Paul,

I was one of those who received this offer and, after dealing with a few connection issues, I finally managed to download the file.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the license anymore and then I received another email, saying that the offer was sent to me by mistake because I already own a full license for Trados Studio 2009. So the Starter Edition license was removed from my account before I could download it.

Trouble is, I do *not* own a full version of Trados Studio 2009!!! I downloaded a demo version of it a few months ago, but that was all!!

How can I have this problem solved and get my Starter Edition license?

Thanks!

Romina

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Mystery of the cancelled license Aug 11, 2010

Romina Fanzini wrote:
How can I have this problem solved and get my Starter Edition license?
Thanks!
Romina

Hi Romina,

It seems you have been the victim of a flaw in this process that has taken your upgrade from MT Extract 2007 to 2009 as confirmation that you are already a Studio 2009 owner.

We have corrected this in your account now and will fix the problem that may have affected others too.

Thanks for flagging this Romina and apologies for the confusion. If you have any other problems getting started now please let me know.

Regards

Paul.

Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
License found Aug 13, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

We have corrected this in your account now and will fix the problem that may have affected others too.

Hi again Paul!

Thank you for this!! Now everything seems to be fine!! I'll get back to you if I have other problems!

Have a nice weekend!

Romina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search