Thread poster: Elena delaCova

Elena delaCova
Spain
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Hi everyone,

I´m having troubles viewing an XLIFF file with TagEditor. When I open the file, the source text will show as a tag (in a grey box typical of TE tags). Sometimes it shows the source text in the target too, depending on the file.

I´m using Trados 2007, and a .xliff file.

I´ve seen a couple of threads about this, but could not find a solution. Can anyone help?

Thanks a mill!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF structure Aug 5, 2010

An XLIFF file could be prepared in different ways. Normally, it contains Source parts that should be locked by the CAT tool, and corresponding Target parts which are to be translated.

Now, your XLIFF file could already contain Target parts that should be translated, and this seems to be the case. However, certain segments might only contain Source that should not be translated (the Source tag could contain translate = "no" or something similar) or have already been translated.

The least convenient situation is where your XLIFF file only has Source parts and Target parts are to be generated by the CAT tool. TE doesn't do that, but you can use this utility: c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\XLiffConvert.exe

Studio 2009 handles XLIFF files much better, so I would recommend it if you have it and can use it.

Elena delaCova
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 5, 2010

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the answer, I think I´ll work with SDL, I´ve just tried to work with it and it seems better than TE for XLIFF.

Thank you!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SDLX Aug 5, 2010

ElenadelaCova wrote:

I´m having troubles viewing an XLIFF file with TagEditor. When I open the file, the source text will show as a tag (in a grey box typical of TE tags). Sometimes it shows the source text in the target too, depending on the file.

I´m using Trados 2007, and a .xliff file.

The XLIFF handling in TE is simply ridiculous, it never worked correctly.
It makes no sense to insist.

I´ve seen a couple of threads about this, but could not find a solution. Can anyone help?

Use SDLX instead.
You can transform XLIFF to ITD, then open ITD in TagEditor or convert it to TTX.
When translated, reverse the operations.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source as a tag when opening XLIFF with TagEditor

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search