Basic TagEditor question about font colour
Thread poster: Peter Sass

Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 00:17
English to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Hi, I've tried to make the font colour in target segments of TagEditor appear in blue in the Editor window by using the setting in Workbench - Options - Colours of translated text - but it doesn't work.
Is there another way to make that setting, e.g. in Synergy?
Or does this only work when using Word with TagEditor?
Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
External editor Aug 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Hi, I've tried to make the font colour in target segments of TagEditor appear in blue in the Editor window by using the setting in Workbench - Options - Colours of translated text - but it doesn't work.

This option was intended for the Word + Workbench workflow.

It's possible to force the colour in the TU but you should use an external editor.
E.g., after the language declaration statement in the TU (il looks like <Tuv Lang="FR-FR">), you should put <df Colour="0x0000ff"> for blue.

Make a backup before you proceed.

Cheers
GG

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 5, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It's possible to force the colour in the TU but you should use an external editor.
E.g., after the language declaration statement in the TU (il looks like ), you should put for blue.

Thanks for the info Grzegorz, I just couldn't remember having used that feature before in TagEditor.
I take it the suggested modification of TUs font colours only works for editing the output TM but not for the Editor window in TagEditor right?
Quite strange Trados wouldn't let you adjust font display in TagEditor.

French to Polish
+ ...
Cheating in TTX Aug 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

I take it the suggested modification of TUs font colours only works for editing the output TM but not for the Editor window in TagEditor right?

No, it works in the TTX files.
Just open a TTX file in Notepad++ or similar and cheat as you like icon_smile.gif
A global S&R should do the job.

Quite strange Trados wouldn't let you adjust font display in TagEditor.

It's because TE tries to represent the original formatting.
The cheat makes TE think the original formatting is blue, so you should be very carefull if your document is heavily formatted.
The cheated codes should disappear when you pretranslate the modded file against an empty memory.

I didn't test it thoroughly, so make attention.

Cheers
GG

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just where.. Aug 5, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Just open a TTX file in Notepad++ or similar and cheat as you like icon_smile.gif

to put the end tag in notepad? Right after the 'df' tag or after after the closing TU tag didn't work.
Hope I don't overstretch you attention, but now you got me into 'cheating mode'..;-)

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-05 17:13 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-05 17:15 GMT]

SOLVED:
Ok got it, the closing df tag must appear right after the TU text (= before the closing TU tag).
So I managed to make one TU blue already!icon_smile.gif

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-05 17:24 GMT]

BUT PROBLEM REMAINS:
How to use find & replace to insert the df tag globally?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-05 17:32 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Being imprecise... Aug 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

to put the end tag in notepad? Right after the 'df' tag or after after the closing TU tag didn't work.

E.g. before the tag containing the next df declaration.
Attention, the df declatation may be complex and contain both font and colour.
So, it's not so easy to define one working S&R, sorry...
At least, you have a starting point icon_smile.gif

Hope I don't overstretch you attention, but now you got me into 'cheating mode'..;-)

Well, normally, I post here when I'm unable to work...
So why I'm often imprecise icon_smile.gif

As I said, I didn't test it for all the file types but it should work at least for Word.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-05 17:34 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
A simple one... Aug 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

SOLVED:
Ok got it, the closing df tag must appear right after the TU text (= before the closing TU tag).
So I managed to make one TU blue already!icon_smile.gif

BUT PROBLEM REMAINS:
How to use find & replace to insert the df tag globally?

I assume EN-US is source, DE-DE is target:
<Tuv Lang="EN-US"> by <Tuv Lang="EN-US"><df Colour="0x0000ff">
</Tuv><Tuv Lang="DE-DE"> by </df></Tuv><Tuv Lang="DE-DE">.

Attention, if the TUs contain additional df definition, it will be not enough.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-05 17:53 GMT]

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's all blue Aug 5, 2010

Yep, I had solved the latter one as well, just forgot to post it here, sorry to bother you.

So I've successfully followed your suggestion and it's all blue now, thanks.

Only thing is, the undoing by pre-translating with Workbench don't seem to work - there is a reading error saying "the input ended before all the started tags ended".
Any idea about that maybe?
Anyway, I could still change them all manually - or at some point I learn how to write a macro for that..icon_smile.gif

French to Polish
+ ...
Working exceptions... Aug 6, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

So I've successfully followed your suggestion and it's all blue now, thanks.

Only thing is, the undoing by pre-translating with Workbench don't seem to work - there is a reading error saying "the input ended before all the started tags ended".
Any idea about that maybe?

No idea.
Probably the tagging is incorrect somewhere.

Anyway, I could still change them all manually - or at some point I learn how to write a macro for that..icon_smile.gif

Yep.

Another remark.
The coulours are applied to the file types for which the df statement is not used in the original format (INX, RESX etc.) because the font coulour is not specified or coded in a different way.
I missed 'cause I never use colours, the software I use normally i.e. DVX or memoQ have better ways to distinguish the segment status.
TBH, Trados 2009 does better too.

Cheers
GG

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Change back necessary? Aug 6, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Another remark.
The coulours are applied to the file types for which the df statement is not used in the original format (INX, RESX etc.) because the font coulour is not specified or coded in a different way.
I missed 'cause I never use colours, the software I use normally i.e. DVX or memoQ have better ways to distinguish the segment status.
TBH, Trados 2009 does better too.

Cheers
GG

Just to check one last thing as I'm not sure if I got that: I do have to erase all the df inserts again in the TTX before delivering it, i.e. the font changes would alter the outcome of the target TTX -Word file, right? Or are they overriden by the formatting tags in the TTX?

French to Polish
+ ...
Reverse... Aug 6, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Just to check one last thing as I'm not sure if I got that: I do have to erase all the df inserts again in the TTX before delivering it, i.e. the font changes would alter the outcome of the target TTX -Word file, right? Or are they overriden by the formatting tags in the TTX?

Yes, you should reverse the operation.
They are formatting tags and code the text colour.

Cheers
GG

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
- Or change the colour of the source text instead Aug 6, 2010

I usually change the colour of the source text instead since that can be done quite easily by choosing a colour of your liking in Workbench and pre-translating the TTX file.

Then the target text will still appear in black but it makes it easier to work with. And it seems like an easier solution than Grzegorz suggests - at least for someicon_wink.gif

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does this actually work? Aug 7, 2010

Hi Mette, thanks for your suggestion, yet this is the function (setting colours for translated text) that does not seem to work with Tag Editor but only with Word, at least when a TTX is already translated. Or does it work with you - then how?

Peter

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, it works - but only on some formats... Aug 7, 2010

Hi Peter

Yes, it is the same function. This is how I do:

1. Choose a different source colour than black/unchanged in Options > Translated Text Colours.

2. Pretranslate the TTX file in Tools > Translate and select 'Segment unknown sentences' and 'Update document'.

Then the source text will be be copied to the target segments throughout the text but the colour of the source text is changed and stays that way when you translate.

This works on XML, HTML files and maybe other formats as well, but now that you asked I just remembered that there are formats where this doesn't work, for example Word and Excel. I have just primarily been working on ML formats lately in TagEditor and don't always do this so that had slipped my mind when I posted yesterday.

So it depends on the format of the source text it seems. Sorry for misleading you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic TagEditor question about font colour

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search