Thread poster: Sawal
Sawal
Sawal  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 00:07
English to French
Aug 5, 2010

Hello all,

I created a TM with WinAlign and I want to edit it to replace a word that comes often in the target segments and that is not properly translated. I'm sick of typing it al the time.

Do someone know how I can edit the content of my TM?

Thanks

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:07
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
What version Aug 5, 2010

of Trados do you have?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:07
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL Maintain format TM? Aug 5, 2010

I have a habit to rely on SDLX since its TM is easier to edit than Trados's. SDL Maintain works like a word processor. I can find and replace words quickly and edit in a batch process. I will export Trados TM (until version 2007) to TMX and import to SDL Maintain of SDLX package. This step is unnecessary if you use SDL Trados Studio 2009.

I also use NotePad with TMX format TM (an exported format from Trados). Editing with NotePad is quick and accurate but beware of deleting essential X
... See more
I have a habit to rely on SDLX since its TM is easier to edit than Trados's. SDL Maintain works like a word processor. I can find and replace words quickly and edit in a batch process. I will export Trados TM (until version 2007) to TMX and import to SDL Maintain of SDLX package. This step is unnecessary if you use SDL Trados Studio 2009.

I also use NotePad with TMX format TM (an exported format from Trados). Editing with NotePad is quick and accurate but beware of deleting essential XML coding tags. This method can be done until Trados 2009 TM format.

Best regards,

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Sawal
Sawal  Identity Verified
Senegal
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 freelance Aug 5, 2010

I have Trados 2007 Freelance

I will try to export the TM and edit it with a software that recognize tags

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maintenance Aug 5, 2010

Sawal wrote:
Do someone know how I can edit the content of my TM? Thanks

TW has a special command for this purpose -- Maintenance. it is not very intuitive -- you first have to set the filter to find a word or phrase you want to edit use Search and Replace. But if you want to amend a particular word in a large TM, this will find and replace all the occurrences.

This Maintenance command takes some getting used to, but is worth the effort.

Sawal
Sawal  Identity Verified
Senegal
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a try Aug 6, 2010

I will try maintenance. I discovered it today but didn't know how to use it. Will set the filter to see. It should be easier than exporting - correcting-importing

Thanks to everyone who answered

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a Translation Memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »