Auto-substituting terms
Thread poster: Henning Holthusen

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 15:20
English to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2010

I am translating a lot of product descriptions currently.
Many of those products are available in several colours, for example.

So I will get the sentence "This is a fantastic blue pen", or whatever, and then I'll get the same sentence in red, blue, silver, magenta, black etc.

Is there any way of making Studio 2009 treat "red" sort of like it would a placeable and substitute it with the translation for "red" if I get the sentence "This is a fantastic red pen"?

I've looked at the help files and it looks like the only thing that would be close would be defining it as a variable, which would however result in it NOT being translated.

So I would get German target sentence with an English word "red"?

Is there any alternative?

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
French to Polish
+ ...
EBMT enabled software Aug 6, 2010

Henning Holthusen wrote:

I am translating a lot of product descriptions currently.
Many of those products are available in several colours, for example.

So I will get the sentence "This is a fantastic blue pen", or whatever, and then I'll get the same sentence in red, blue, silver, magenta, black etc.

Is there any way of making Studio 2009 treat "red" sort of like it would a placeable and substitute it with the translation for "red" if I get the sentence "This is a fantastic red pen"?

I've looked at the help files and it looks like the only thing that would be close would be defining it as a variable, which would however result in it NOT being translated.

So I would get German target sentence with an English word "red"?

Is there any alternative?

DVX.
It features a simple EBMT (example based machine translation) engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example-based_machine_translation
If both terms are defined in the termbase, the substitution us automatic.
It's not perfect but it works pretty well.

Seriously speaking, Trados was never intended to work in this way and a human interaction is always needed.

Cheers
GG

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast works in this way Aug 6, 2010

Autopropagation of glossaries.

It works very well and really speeds up workflow, once you know what you are doing.

hhl
English to German
Machine Declination? Aug 6, 2010

And this EBMT can really translate "red" into the declined German "rote", "rotes", "roter", "roten", depending on context and gender of subject?

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Substitution Aug 6, 2010

If you can, before opening the file in Studio, replace each colour with a number in the source text, like this:

This is a fantastic 101 pen.

and translate it at the first occurence as: Ez egy fantasztikus 101 toll.

(101=red, 102=blue etc.)

After confirming this translation, all segments with similar structure (where the only difference is the number) appear as 100% match (at least at my settings). Then you can convert the numbers in the target side into colours with Find/Replace function any time.
Of course, the original source text should not contain the chosen numbers.
Hope it works for you, too.

French to Polish
+ ...
Just a substitution, no grammatical analysis Aug 6, 2010

hhl wrote:

And this EBMT can really translate "red" into the declined German "rote", "rotes", "roter", "roten", depending on context and gender of subject?

No.
Its just a substitution.
But at least I don't need to type the entire words, especially the long ones.
If you have really huge and well tuned termbases with entire syntagms, usually containing the most frequent occurencies, the results may be better.
I use it heavily for Polish which is morphologically more complex than German.
Well, at least if you count the number of cases in both languages

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-06 15:31 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
OK for Hungarian but generally insufficient... Aug 6, 2010

István Hirsch wrote:

If you can, before opening the file in Studio, replace each colour with a number in the source text, like this:

This is a fantastic 101 pen.

and translate it at the first occurence as: Ez egy fantasztikus 101 toll.

(101=red, 102=blue etc.)

After confirming this translation, all segments with similar structure (where the only difference is the number) appear as 100% match (at least at my settings). Then you can convert the numbers in the target side into colours with Find/Replace function any time.
Of course, the original source text should not contain the chosen numbers.
Hope it works for you, too.

Well, it works well for Hungarian 'cause the adjective is no inflected at all (no gender, the cases are linked to the noun).
AFAIK, of course.
Legeslegeslegnéhezebb

DVX is better here 'cause the segment is not marked as 100% match and I may detect easier the EBMT segments.

Cheers
GG

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Another workaround might be to use a termbase Aug 6, 2010

This is an interesting point and I guess it would be nice to have such a feature. Basically, we are talking here about an 'automatic translation' of sentence fragments. The question however is what this feature should do exactly, the problem being to define how far you go: what does get automatically translated, how far do we extend such a feature.

The only workaround I see at this point in time for Studio is to define these colors in a separate termbase with a very simple structure. This would at least allow you to insert the translation in the same way as you would a placeable. In Henning's scenario where this apparently reoccurs often, this approach might help.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-substituting terms

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search