Upgrading from Trados 2007 Freelance to Studio 2009 Freelance Plus / Training
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:47
English to German
Aug 6, 2010

Hi all,

At the moment I am considering to accept a very good offer by SDL for an upgrade from Trados 2007 Freelance to Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus.

However, I haven't worked much with Trados 2007 since I bought it and have often encountered serious problems. I have done several (online) training sessions, but they didn't help me very much. Now, I have several times read here in the forum that the new Studio 2009 is easier in total and offers even more features at the same time.

Would you recommend it?

And I would be very interested in hearing from someone who took a training course for Studio 2009. Can you recommend something? I wouldn't do the upgrade without any special training for it. And I think it would not make sense now to do further training lessons on Trados 2007, wouldn't it?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

Annett

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Take advantage of the SDL free offer Aug 6, 2010

I'd definitely recommended upgrading to Studio. However, it's not just a question of getting training. You must practise everything you learn otherwise you'll never get to grips with it, or any CAT tool for that matter.

Why don't you take advantage of the SDL offer of the 6 month free trial of the Studio Starter version that has already been added to your account? See the detail here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177103-sdl_trados_studio_starter_edition.html

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Start with Studio and get training Aug 6, 2010

Hi Annett

If you are not depending on 2007 in order to complete jobs for an agency that requires this, I would strongly suggest that you start with Studio.

Studio is indeed simpler to use for many reasons, the first being the fact that you now have only one program to do the job. Basically, you open a file, choose your TM(s) and optionally termbase(s) and start translating. There are no dependencies with other programs anymore. The workflow is more straightforward than before. On the other hand, Studio also offers more functions than the previous versions, but you can learn about those once you have become familiar with the basic concept.

Because the way of working is very different from the one used in the previous versions, it is advisable to get some training to start, either by attending an online webinar or - even better - a one day introductory classroom course. The latter has the advantage that the trainer can adapt to your learning pace, which is not the case in an online webinar.
Webinars are available from proz.com (and SDL). For classrom courses, you can find the course calendar on SDL's website (www.sdl.com/training) or you may also contact me directly (see my profile).

Walter

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Even better training for free Aug 6, 2010

Hello Annett,
in addition to what has been suggested by Emma and Walter, I would also suggest that you take a look at the videos on SDL's Youtube channel (www.youtube.com/sdltrados). They may help you get started.

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for the encouragement! Aug 6, 2010

Although I have had more problems with Trados than benefits from it until now, I am still convinced that it is a good CAT-tool and helps making translation more effective.

Thank you, Emma, I already saw this offer and will try it.

Thank you, Walter, that sounds interesting (your training), I suppose this would be a one-to-one training at your place in Zurich? That would be a possibility for me, as I have a good friend in Rorschach where I could stay. May I come back to you for an inquiry some time?

Thank you, Stanislav, this I didn't know, but will certainly have a look at!

Annett

LindsayW
German to English
My advice would be DO NOT upgrade to Studio 2009 unless you are sure your clients have it! Aug 10, 2010

I have been a loyal Trados user since it was first launched and have purchased every upgrade over the years.

Unfortunately, upgrading to Studio 2009 was a BIG mistake and a complete waste of the EUR 225 upgrade cost. Since none of my clients have it, and it is not backward-compatible, I have discovered I am virtually unable to use it, and have been forced to revert to Suite 2007, 2 licences for which are included with Studio 2009.

Today, however, I realised I actually need a 3rd licence for Suite 2007 when SDL deactivated my licence without warning! I commute between 2 locations, each of which has a PC, and also use a laptop when travelling. I explained to SDL that I am perfectly happy to pay for a 3rd licence, and asked them to price it for me. However, they have informed me that they no longer sell Suite 2007 separately, and the only way of obtaining a 3rd licence is to purchase an entire new Studio 2009 package - at the "discounted" rate of EUR 740!!!!

I am sure that it would be technically possible for SDL to just change the number of activations for my Suite 2007 from 2 to 3 - a charge of, say, EUR 100 would be reasonable for this 30-second job, surely - but instead I feel they are going all out to shaft freelancers in any way they can. I neither want nor need any more licences for 2009, as the one I already have is in any case as good as useless, but SDL have so far been unwilling to make any concessions whatsoever.

I simply can't afford the EUR 740 at the moment, so I don't know what I'm going to do, but I would like to help other freelancers avoid making the same mistake and wasting their money.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio is backward compatible Aug 11, 2010

If you need to work with customers having Trados 2007 (what I do since March 2009) you just need to prepare TTX files in T2007 and process them completly in Studio.
As for the licensing: if you have a freelance license, so AFAIR you were always allowed to use it on 2 computers. If you have bought 3 licenses, so you should have 3 of them in your account. But I canźt remember SDL providing 3 activation codes if you had a single license...

Today, however, I realised I actually need a 3rd licence for Suite 2007 when SDL deactivated my licence without warning!

Did you buy 3 licenses? What do you mean by "SDL has deactivated my licence without any warning!"
You are quite emotional about that, but if you buy one license, you get one, if you buy 3 you get 3. No one company in the world would give you extra licenses for free. Why should they?

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
English to Italian
A way of working Aug 11, 2010

Hello,
I work for SDL.

One way of working on more than 2 computers is the following:

1) Install SDL Trados Studio on all the computers you need
2) When you are needing to use a third computer, you can use the license manager to 'return' the license
3) As soon as you have returned the license you can activate on your third computer, again using the license manager

There are no limits to how many times you can return and pick up the license on different computers.

The process should take only few moments to complete. You do need to be online. However in this way you should be able to use SDL Trados when you require so on an alternative PC.

I hope this provides a viable alternative.

Regards
Massi

[Edited at 2010-08-11 08:57 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
can somebody explain to me howmany licenses I have? Aug 11, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

. But I canźt remember SDL providing 3 activation codes if you had a single license...

When recently installing SDL Trados I noticed the following:

(this is a screen dump with my licensing info deleted, of course).icon_smile.gif

My interpetation of this image is that I can activate SDLT 2007 SUITE on up to three machines. Is this correct?

Antonin

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Customers not having Studio 2009 Aug 11, 2010

Hello LindsayW,

Unlike you, I missed out on an upgrade or two since the days of Trados 6.5, and so this year I had to buy the whole caboodle of Studio 2009 Plus. I think it was worth it, since I made up the cost in only half a dozen large jobs within a couple of months. There is the odd hiccup here and there, but there can be no doubt Studio 2009 is much more compact and intuitive.

I don't feel that the customer should come into the equation so much (and with Studio 2009 you can always give them a tmx. file export, or use the 2007 version, Workbench, WinAlign etc. to use their material for your updated version, can't you?). Surely the whole point of CAT is to make it easier for YOU, the translator, to eventually work faster and more accurately on subsequent versions of texts or similar texts for which there was no memory other than the memory YOU create by simply processing them from scratch.

Mervyn

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Extra Activations Aug 11, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

My interpetation of this image is that I can activate SDLT 2007 SUITE on up to three machines. Is this correct?

Antonin

Hi Antonin,

The main reason for these extra activations is to give you some flexibility should you be unfortunate enough to crash and lose your activation. If you had used them all up then you would not be able to relicense your product and more than likely this would happen late on Friday night when you couldn't get help from Support either.

So, you could use them on other machines as long as they were not in operation at the same time (to comply with the EULA) but you do run a risk.

Regards

Paul

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
risks undertstood :-) Aug 11, 2010

Paul,

Thank you for your explanation. I do not have an intention of running it on more than one machine anyway (at least at the moment - my main CAT tool is a different one).

I just wanted to make sure what my actual options were (exactly for the reasons of possible crashes, etc.).

Antonin

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
One more thing Aug 11, 2010

Hi Antonin,

If you do lose an Activation we have in place a process where you can reinstate it through the solution finder. This way you can ensure you always have the extra activations available as needed.

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and your lost activation will be replaced. We do monitor this for abuse of course, but for the vast majority of users this should bring the problem of being unable to license the product under their own control a little.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from Trados 2007 Freelance to Studio 2009 Freelance Plus / Training

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search