Reinstalling Windows: How can I keep my projects info in Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:58
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 6, 2010

Hi All,

I am planning on reinstalling Windows, however I am in the middle of a project and also I would not like to lose my information on completed projects. How can I transfer this database to the new installation?

Your help is appreciated.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
English
Studio Projects Folder Aug 6, 2010

Hi Pavel,

If you have accepted the default location and created Projects rather than use Open Document and then Save, then you simply back up that folder in its entirety. The default is;

c:\Users\username\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\

If you didn't do this then you probably need to recreate the folder structure you use now in the new PC and copy over the projects.xml that should be in this location;

c:\Users\username\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\

Regards

Paul

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't do it Aug 7, 2010

Reinstalling Windows in the middle of a project is a high risk enterprise. I think you should complete the project and then do it -- and August the holiday month is the best time to do it.

As well as saving all the various SDL and Trados folders, you may need to return your Trados license, and also consider the Registry. Presumably reinstalling Windows will start a new Registry, so you will lose all your current Trados parameters.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Returning the license is an important point Aug 7, 2010

Thanks to Peter for pointing this out as many people often forget to return their license when they move to another PC.

As to the settings in the registry, Studio 2009 does AFAIK not store any user settings (in fact barely any settings) in the registry. All the settings are stored in configuration files (mainly in XML format). This means that you can easily move a Studio installation from a PC to another one by moving the appropriate files.

Walter

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more, especially about waiting until you're finished. Aug 7, 2010

Peter Linton wrote:

Reinstalling Windows in the middle of a project is a high risk enterprise. I think you should complete the project and then do it -- and August the holiday month is the best time to do it.

As well as saving all the various SDL and Trados folders, you may need to return your Trados license, and also consider the Registry. Presumably reinstalling Windows will start a new Registry, so you will lose all your current Trados parameters.

You will do well to follow this advice from Peter!icon_smile.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Keep exactly the same folder structure! Aug 7, 2010

When you do so and also restore the Projects file mentioned by Paul, all projects will be available without any problem.
And I think it is needles to say, that you must have a backup copy of everything before you start upgrading, and also that you should wait until the project is finished.

Studio does store some basis user settings in registy, like user name, but they seem to be uncritical - I have deleted such entries ocassionaly and did not encounter any problems.
More imporatnt are user profiles and setting files. However I must admit I do not know where Studio does save language pair information.
What you should keep beside the Project file from the location Paul described is also a user profile (save it using the option to Manage user profiles from Tools menu) and - what hasn't been mentioned yet - the file type definitions files. These keep a lot of settings too. You would also need to save the project templates, when you created them.

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:58
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Aug 9, 2010

Thank you for the good advice. I will consider carefully what has been written and come back with further questions if any.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reinstalling Windows: How can I keep my projects info in Trados 2009?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search