lauradiel  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:04
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 7, 2010

Hi,
I'm not a Trados user but I'm translating a Word document that contains Trados tags. I have tried to keep all the tags in their original position, but it's not always possible in my target language. In order to change their position I need to know what they stand for, unfortunately I don't understand the meaning/function of the tag [where # is always a different number]. Thank you!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the source was doc Aug 7, 2010

then the meaning of the tags is nearly completly written in their name.
On the TagEditor tool bar (or in the View menu) you will have the possibility to show "Full tag txt". When you do this, the tags will tell you what they stand for.
A good reference to tags can be found in TagEditor help files and in the File Format Reference Guide, a PDF document installed with Trados and accessible via "Documentation" within the Trados program group.
If you have created the ttx on your own, I would check Word formatting before creating a ttx, as mainly tags are caused by bad formatting.
Unfortunately the question you ask is not really easy to answer on the forum, as the necessary description would fill a small book. However, if you wish I would be happy to offer you a training online, where I could show you how to deal with tags on the examples from your own file. In case you would like to get such training, contact me via my profile.

Regards
Jerzy

Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well.. Aug 7, 2010

thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I couldn't find this tag in the documentation file and this is already the full tag! It is a word file with trados tags...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well... Aug 7, 2010

I would look at page 216 and following in the File Format Reference Guide.
And once again - if you see the full tag text, then read it - it tells you nearly everything you need to know.

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:04
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You should give more details Aug 7, 2010

First, do you work in Word or in TagEditor? Also, do you use Workbench or work without a database?

Second, what do you mean in "Trados tags"? Are they HTML tags or other kind of tags?

Can you paste an example?

Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's the full tag Aug 7, 2010

This is an example with the full tags:

< par x="x10" >< c57434/ >< x11/ >When posting about a CAT tool or other software program, < x12/ >include the product name, version, your operating and any other relevant .< /par >

The tags are already in the Word file I have been provided. So, it doesn't matter if I open the doc in Tageditor or Word, I always get these tags. Of course, when I open the file in Tageditor I get them in "Trados format", when I open the file in Word they look like HTML tags.

[Modificato alle 2010-08-07 13:29 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2010-08-07 13:30 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your information has been highly misleading Aug 7, 2010

This looks like an XML file or similar.
Did your customer not ask you to translate with a CAT tool? Looks in fact strange to me.
These are simply tags, not necessarily even Trados - I am sorry, but there is no way we could help you I'm afraid. You will have to keep the tags where they are or ask the customer what they mean and how to deal with them in cases you have to move them for your target. You seem not to know what was the real source of the file, so any attempt toidentyfiy the tags here is pure guessing.

Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Aug 7, 2010

Of course, I'm using a CAT tool to translate the file. No, I don't know the real doc source. Tageditor does recognize them as tags, but they may be tags of a specific file format. I thought that maybe someone else had encountered them before. But if nobody has, I will ask the customer.
Thanks

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:04
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
DTP program tags? Aug 7, 2010

Laura Diel wrote:
< par x="x10" >< c57434/ >< x11/ >When posting about a CAT tool or other software program, < x12/ >include the product name, version, your operating and any other relevant .< /par >

It looks like DTP program tags that specify the paragraph No./location and line wrapping locations e.g. InDesign, FrameMaker, PageMaker I used before but my Google search hit nothing (I recently has no DTP jobs.)

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:04
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Reference file Aug 7, 2010

Ask the client to give you a reference source pdf file

you wil see on the edited file the real meaning of the tags, and you may appreciate if they can be relocated or not

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why don't you ask your client what it is Aug 8, 2010

I am surprised how often translators simply try to make guesses on important questions such as terminology or - in this case - special formatting/structuring tags.

Why don't you ask your client what these tags are meant to represent? If their meaning is not obvious to you and - as it seems - not even to experts, I believe that this is the only sensible thing to do.

I consider wild guessing on important issues as a dangerous approach, which does not help to deliver quality work.

Walter

Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Aug 8, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

I am surprised how often translators simply try to make guesses on important questions such as terminology or - in this case - special formatting/structuring tags.

Why don't you ask your client what these tags are meant to represent? If their meaning is not obvious to you and - as it seems - not even to experts, I believe that this is the only sensible thing to do.

I consider wild guessing on important issues as a dangerous approach, which does not help to deliver quality work.

Walter

Of course, I will! But since I'm not able to contact my client on weekends, I thought that maybe someone else could help me in the meantime. I thought that these were just Trados tags, but I agree with Soonthon, they are probably DTP program tags and I will need to ask for a clarification.

I'm sorry Walter, but you're totally wrong with your assumptions. I'm not just trying to guess, I thought that these were just common Trados tags and that some fellow translators and trados experts could help me. I would never and I say NEVER just guess and do a poor quality job.

Thanks to all those who tried to help me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS TAGS..help needed

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search