Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
TagEditor, SDL 2007
Thread poster: Jenny Hakanson

Jenny Hakanson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Swedish
Aug 7, 2010

I have been working on a .ttx file in TagEditor for the last two days. The translation agency that I work with changed the format of the file from .xlf (the client uses XLIFF) to .ttx so that I could use Tag Editor. (The file is called SKIM2.id.ttx)

The file I have used looked fine apart from the fact that the 'target lines' were already filled in with the English source text. Hence I had to erase the target text to be able to fill in the Swedish target text as I translated.

When I was done I tried to save the file and this is where I ran into trouble. A box came up that said that TagEditor had stopped working and that the program would close. When I tried to open it again the translated file was not saved (it didn't even register under 'open') and the target lines were all in English again.

Everything is saved in the translation memory - my problem now is how to use 'translate to fuzzy' as the target lines are filled in with the English source text. Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
There are two ways... Aug 7, 2010

There are ways of restoring translated ttx, but rather complicated...

First is to open the file in a text editor that handles regular expressions (or Word, if you know what you are doing). There you have to remove all Tu tags and all Tuv Lang="original" tags and their respective closing tags. Beside you have to remove all Tuv Lang="target" tags and closing tags together with the text that goes in between... This is non-trivial and some trial and error might be involved (always work on a copy!).

Another way is to open the file in TagEditor and repeat the sequence of Alt+Shift+Home (open segment) and Alt+Del (restore segment) ad nauseam. Naturally, a macro program would come in handy. Then translate the document automatically.

If you prefer to work manually, it's Alt+Shift+Home then Alt+Del then Alt+Shift+Insert. Might be tedious, if the document is long.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:06
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TTXpress.dot template Aug 8, 2010

I use this TTXpress.dot template to open TTX file in MS Word and redo translation; save as TTX file again. This is not MS Word interface of Trados translation tool but a utility program opened in Word to open, edit, translate, review and convert TTX file successfully in MS Word.

Please search Google to download the template. If note, write me via Proz.com page and I will send you (a small file).
Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Translate from Tools menu in Workbench Aug 8, 2010

When you use this function, make sure the "Update document" option is selected.
You can reduce the minimum match value to 90% to make sure all segments will be really replaced by their translation (just an idea in case Workbench would not interpret all segments as 100% matches).
After the process has run open the file in Tageditor and use the command "Open Next no 100%/Get" (CTRL+ALT+Home) to open the first non-100% match segment and then "Set Close Next no 100% OPen Get" (CTRL+ALT+NUM+).

Jenny Hakanson  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Aug 8, 2010

Thank you all for your replies! In the end I used Jerzy's suggestion as it seemed the easiest way. It worked a charm and my work is rescued! Thank you so much!!

Agnes Stajniak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
English to Polish
+ ...
Dropping doc into ttx Aug 16, 2010

Hi,

I was asked to drop a pretranslated word file into ttx file. How can I do this in tag editor. I have to send the updated ttx file back, does anyone know how to do this.

I do not have the original file.

I tried converting the word file into ttx and then glueing the two ttx files together but that didnt work.

Help!!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Would not know how this should be possible Aug 16, 2010

If I get you right, you are attempting to convert a Word file into TTX and then insert that in anoter TTX? This is impossible.
There must be some misunderstanding here.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
you have to translate the pretranslated in MSWord Aug 17, 2010

Hello Agnes,

I was asked to drop a pretranslated word file into ttx file.

you can't do that and I am surprised that you have been asked to import a pretranslated, that is a bilingual doc, into another editor like TE, which generates bilingual files.

Pretranslated docs have to be translated in MSWord. If you have to translate in TE for whatever reason, you need a pretranslated ttx file (that is your agency has to import the file into TE and pretransate it in TWB) you can open in TE.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-08-17 03:31 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:06
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Combining pretranslated Word file to TTX Aug 17, 2010

Agnes Stajniak wrote:
I was asked to drop a pretranslated word file into ttx file. How can I do this in tag editor. I have to send the updated ttx file back, does anyone know how to do this.
I do not have the original file.
I tried converting the word file into ttx and then glueing the two ttx files together but that didnt work.

I understand that you try to update the TTX file with pretranslated work file. TM from the pretranslated Word file may update certain segments in your TTX file via WorkBench tools. But that TM must not be used with TTX file before your updating steps.

Another method can be done but it will be very nonsense. You copy all TTX file contents to NotePad. And copy all pretranslated Word file contents and paste to the NotePad file. Save the file as Unicode text file. Change file extension *.txt to *.TTX. You get the updated but corrupted TagEditor file (tagEditor can no longer handle it). Is this what your agency wants?
Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
updating TTX Aug 17, 2010

My agency said to drop the Word file into TTX but it needs to be done in Tag Editor.

It sounds like your solution is similiar to what I have done. Glueing two TTX files together, but that didnt work.

I do not have a TM so I am not sure how I could update TTX without the TM.

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
attempt Aug 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If I get you right, you are attempting to convert a Word file into TTX and then insert that in anoter TTX? This is impossible.
There must be some misunderstanding here.

I am attempting to add a pretranslated Word file into TTX.

What I have done was to convert Word into TTX and then using SDL Trados Glue tool I glued two TTX files together, however the agency checked and it didnt work.

The agency said that it has to be done in Tag editor but I dont see how. Is there a way of just dropping the word file into TTX??

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please ask the agency for precise instructions Aug 17, 2010

A TTX file has always a "closed" structure, ie. it is not a file created on its own, but a filtered source file. When the ttx would be changed but the source remains as it was the ttx is unusable.
So I would understand your task simply as "translate the Word file using TagEditor". Use the provided TTX file to fill your TM and use that TM for translation of the newly provided TTX file.
Asking the customer should always be the first what you do in such situaitons - he is the only one to know what he wants, anyone else is just guessing.

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
job Aug 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

A TTX file has always a "closed" structure, ie. it is not a file created on its own, but a filtered source file. When the ttx would be changed but the source remains as it was the ttx is unusable.
So I would understand your task simply as "translate the Word file using TagEditor". Use the provided TTX file to fill your TM and use that TM for translation of the newly provided TTX file.
Asking the customer should always be the first what you do in such situaitons - he is the only one to know what he wants, anyone else is just guessing.

The Word file is already translated. The job is not to translate anything but update the ttx file.

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
sample of pretranslated word file Aug 17, 2010

This is what I see when I open the Word file:

MASTER

File '{0}' nie posiada wymaganego rozszerzenia.

File '{0}' does not have required extension.

Bezpośredni opiekun

Direct Supervisor

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
missing Aug 17, 2010

sorry in between there us

,language>

etc

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor, SDL 2007

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search