SDLT 2007+2009 runs on VirtualBox without problems
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:56
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 7, 2010

So, at last I decided to install SDLT 2007 Suite + SDLT 2009 I bought more than a year ago.

(1) I downloaded VirtualBox 3.6.2 (VBX) from Oracle, installed it under Win 7, 64-bit, and installed Win XP SP3 on VBX. (I had a box version of XP as a leftover from a machine on which I now run this Win 7, 64-bit system).

(2) I downloaded and installed SDL Trados (SDLT) 2007 Suite on the VBX.

(3) I downloaded and installed SDL 2009 on VBX.

It did take some time, but now everything seems to be running smoothly. I had no problems with the activations.

I just wanted to share my positive experience - I believe it is a problem to go through this process on the "generic" virtual XP machine of Win 7 (some people on this forum reported the activation was impossible then).

I am not sure if keeping a copy of the VBX's vdi file can save me in case I need to disactivate after a PC crash or something like it.

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
VMs can be moved across computers Aug 8, 2010

I am not sure if keeping a copy of the VBX's vdi file can save me in case I need to disactivate after a PC crash or something like it.

Yes, you can, but you need to detach and release it first before you copy it. Unfortunately, you cannot simply use an existing VDI file in another VM because the virtual machines use a unique UUID, which is registered and VBox does not allow you to start a VM with a VDI file that is already registered with another VM.

What you can do however is to detach your current VDI file from your current VM, then make a copy of it which you keep as a backup (also useful for returning to a previous state of the VM). You can then reattach the original VDI to your current VM. If something goes wrong or you move to another PC, you can then install VBox there, create a new VM and attach the VDI copy you made previously to it.

To detach a VDI, go to the Settings of your VM, select 'Storage', select the corresponding VDI file in the 'Storage Tree' and click on the yellow folder icon with the green arrow. This will open the 'Virtual Media Manager'. Select the VDI file and click on the 'Release' button. After you released it, you still need to 'Remove' it. VBox will ask you whether you want to delete or keep the file. Choose 'Keep'. The VDI file will now disappear from the Virtual Media Manager of that VM, but it is still present in its physical location. You may then make a copy of this VDI file. After you have done this, go back to the Virtual media Manager and 'Add' the VDI file. Sounds a bit complicated and involves a few steps, but works perfectly fine.

I use this approach to keep copies of a given state of a VM (e.g. just after having installed Windows and Office, but nothing else yet). This allows me to create a new VM when required without the need to reinstall everything .

Walter

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for very useful VM info Aug 8, 2010

Thank you very much, Walter, I was just thinking about the necessity to investigate along those lines.

Actually, I wanted to make a copy of an older vdi and build the "Trados" one on that, but it turned out impossible - I suppose I should have detached, copied, and reattached the original one and only then added the copy and "develop" it. Well, I should have RTFM, I ashamedly admit.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLT 2007+2009 runs on VirtualBox without problems

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search