Trados Studio 2009: "System.OutOfMemoryException"
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:51
German to English
Aug 9, 2010

Failed to save target content ... Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

OK. What the hell is this? The file I'm working with is a TTX and the target file is Word 2007.

I'd switched to this option because the software also refuse to generate the target file in Word 2003. Here the error message was:

Failed to save target content ... Error while writing breaks.

What's going on here? What can I do to generate the target file? I have no problem in saving the TTX. (Tag Editor cannot generate them either btw - from either TTX, 2003 or 2007 - it simply says: Error while converting to Word Document).

HELP!

Extra info: using the 2003 option, Trados does generate a word file. But it is the source file and not the target file. It also doesn't "let go of it" - that is to say, the file cannot be opened until Trados is closed.

[Edited at 2010-08-09 10:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-09 10:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Typicaly this is memory overflow Aug 9, 2010

In such situation restarting Studio should simply help.
Unfortunately it happens sometimes - mainly with big files.
Error while writing breaks is a very well know one - documented also on talisa.sdl.com article 1468
Using the Word 2007 workflow in such situation is not always a goos solution.
Studio does not produce such error, when you open Word directly there, without the ttx way.
In your situation I would simply close studio and try again after restart.
If it does not work, let me know - then we'll start looking for different solutions.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Can you preview the source? Aug 9, 2010

Nick

Following what you describe and given that TE also cannot save as target, there most probably are some inconsistent tags in your file.

To find out what the culprit is, I suggest:

1. Run the Verifier to see if it detects any errors. If it does, correct them.

2. Do a preview of the source. If this works, the error sits in the translated target.

3. Open the source document and do a preview before you start translating any segment. If this already gives an error, then the document cannot be processed in this form and you have to modify the source to make it compatible.

Walter

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still problems: System.OutOfMemoryException Aug 9, 2010

Here's an update:

I tried to translate the Word 2007 doc without prior conversion to TTX - this didn't help just cost me time. "Error converting to Word Document" or some such.

So I tried the workaround in the talisma database. And generated new TTXs. With these I have been able to generate output in Word 2003 but not Word 2007. However, the formatting is damaged in the Word 2003 doc and thus the text is not all in the right place. Word 2007 is still throwing an exception.

I tried previewing my new TTX files. In 2003 it worked and 2007 didn't.

If I try to work directly in the "corrected" 2007 doc (without converting to TTX) I get:

Error thrown by a dependency of object 'Quick Tags' defined in 'transformed file [Word2007.sdlfiletype]' : Initialisation of object failed : Cannot find matching factory methof 'Create on type [Sdl.File.TypeSupport.Framework.IntegrationApi.IconDescriptor].
while resolving 'constructor argument[0]' to '(inner object)' defined in 'transformed file [Word2007.sdlfiletype]' while resolving 'Icon' to '(inner object)' defined in 'transformed file [Word2007.sdlfiletype]'

when I start translating. None of that means anything to me.

[Edited at 2010-08-09 16:56 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is the source file an OCR document? Aug 9, 2010

What kind of formatting problems do occur?
When you try to use plain Word file what is the exact message, following "Error converting to Word Document"? This kind of message is quite often connected to a missing tag in translated file.
Looks really like you have some bad Word as a source, as usualy Studio does not produce that massive problems you seem to have.
How big are your files?

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not an OCR Aug 9, 2010

as far as I know.

It may be extracted from a PDF, but I'm not sure. Poor formating, however, should not be an excuse for Trados to mess up a document. Formating can be copied, however bad it is - after all, it is simply code. Nobody is expecting Trados to fix the formating - Trados is there to find the text, that's all. The formating should just be transferred from one document to the other. If it works in one, it should work in another - basta! If we start going down that road, we won't get anywhere I fear.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Poor formatting... Aug 9, 2010

is in principle kept by Studio.
What kind of formatting dissapears?
AFAIK if I copy source to target, all formatting will be kept - or with other words, if I keep tags where they were, the formatting is preserved.
I understand your frustration, though.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Straying from the point ... Aug 9, 2010

which wasn't actually about formatting. The problem with formatting only arose because of the talisma solution which changes the section breaks. This at least allowed me to produce a result.

But now some text has appeared in places where it previously wasn't and other text appears to be missing.

An ideal solution here would involve identifying where the problem actually lay in regard to Trados' inability to cope with this somewhat large document (which has lots of tables, graphics, etc) and dealing with that.

I fear that adding extra line breaks (the SDL solution) mucks up the whole document.

Studio 2009 is suppose to the be the all-singing-all-dancing solution. But faced with this document, my Studio just whimpers ...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, the point is still... Aug 10, 2010

to produce the target text.
If the text does contain text boxes, which is obvoiusly the case, the text boxes quite often get moved in Word because the translated text is not exactly as long as the source - and the anchors of text boexes get moved.
I can't tell more without seeing the document, but this is what I suppose.
And dealing with formatting problems is unfortunately part of our business today. We are not just translators anymore, we have to have more abilities.

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Does Studio necessarily needs virtual memory on the comp for Java? Feb 12, 2011

Hi guys,

I am getting this message (outofmemory exception) constantly nowdays when trying to save large files I am now handling (normal save ctrl+s, nothing to do with MS Office). I can save the file once, and then I need to keep restarting Studio and reverting my changes back from TM, so I am loosing a lot of speed.

I have tried to set the -xmx Java setting to anything from 0,5 to 6GB but nothing helps.

I am starting to think it is because I have disabled the virtual memory (I have 8GB of RAM and an SSD hard drive). Could this be true? I did not have any problems with any files smaller then 70MB.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unfortunately the problem does persist Feb 12, 2011

For big files (as you mention smaller files do not make any problems).
I noticed, that when switched from Windows Vista Home Premim 64 to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 the problem does not occur that often, but it is still there.
I also have 8 GB of RAM and plenty of HDD space (no SSD, thogh).
This has really nothing with the settings of Java VM in common, it is a different problem.
I just hope the next major release of Studio will perform better in that respect. But no one knows yet when it comes. The only thing I know for the moment is, that it should be there within a reasonable period of time, which means most problably still this year.

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Thank you Jerzy! Feb 12, 2011

Thanks, I will not be looking for a solution anymore then..

To add for the reference: I found out that the virtual memory does not affect this setting either. What does affect though is the amount of text saved into the termbase during work in the editor view.

If I do not add new terms to the termbase I am able to save the file even up to 3 times.

Not sure which way more time is wasted, I will probably just stop saving the file and run a pretraslate function every morning.

Yes, let us hope the TS 2011 will contain swarms of ladybugs instead of such nasty cockroaches : )

Cheers,
to a great WE!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Thanks Jerzy Feb 23, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

In such situation restarting Studio should simply help.

This solved the problem with a big Word file I translated today. Thanks Jerzy.

[Edited at 2011-02-23 15:21 GMT]

CarrieRooster
Polish to English
+ ...
doc --> docx Jan 24, 2012

Hi, I've noticed it helps when you convert .doc to .docx, eg. old Word to new Word (2007). At first Trados didn't like it and protested, but then it worked. Good luck. It's seems sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't and I don't know why.

Lucia Vargas  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:51
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
Solution for when restarting Studio does not help May 11, 2012

Hi all,

I just had the same problem, the system.outofmemoryexception in Studio 2009. In my case I was working with a Word 2010 source file but when I tried to export the destination, the prompt with the error would came.

I restarted the PC and restarted only Trados but nothing. Then I did something Jerzy adviced for other situations: I created a copy of my original file and started translating again little by little (of course it goes automatic because it's already there in the TM). I stop somewhere in a segment, I try to produce the destination file, if it works, then I save the bilingual file and continue translating, then I stop again and repeat the procedure. In other cases this is useful, as Jerzy stated, to discover where the problems suchs as missing tags or things like that are the causes of the destination file not being able to be produced. In this case it's funny I continued with the process all the way to the final segment, and I never discovered any issue with any tag, but I finally obtained the destination file. Who knows what happen the first time I translated, but the important thing is at the end I got the destination file.

Just wanted to share this in case someone else has the same problem. For me these forum pages have saved my life many times, and Jerzy's advices are really valuable.

Regards!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009: "System.OutOfMemoryException"

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search