Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:31
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 9, 2010

I have successfully tanslated the file and using the "FINALIZE" option tried to generated the translated files. What was my surprise when I saw that the exported translated files were in the source language! I am running out of time with this order and I hope someone can offer meaningful advice as to how this problem can be solved.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Need additional information Aug 9, 2010

What was the source? Did you simply try to use "Save target as" from Editor view in Studio? Or "Create target translation"?
Finalize is just an option for finalizing projects, IMHO not the best one for creating target translations.

[Edited at 2010-08-09 13:12 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I hope this helps... Aug 9, 2010

1. Source is a doc file in Bulgarian, generated by FineReader v10, heavily formatted. The target is supposed to be the corresponding doc file in English.
2. So far I have tried the following options: Save target as, Create target translation and finalize. Small parts of the text are in English, everything else is left in Bulgarian.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed strange Aug 9, 2010

The segments in your document are all confirmed, I suppose...

I must admit this is something what never happened to me since I use Studio. However, I would in fact never translate a heavily formatted OCR document without removing at least font changes from the document.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Try to do preview in Word Aug 9, 2010

Pavel

What happens when you do a preview of he target? Do you see the translated English text ? If you see it, save this document as your target.

Walter

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
German to English
+ ...
Similar problem Aug 9, 2010

I had a similar problem recently which was resolved by starting again from scratch. So creating a new project using the original source file and translating it again against the TM, then saving it back to original format.

A workaround at best, I appreciate, but it might work! Good luck.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Aug 9, 2010

I have been able to solve the problem. Here is how:

1. I used Walter's proposal (thank you!) to try and preview the file.
2. I noticed that to a certain point the text was showing in English and then was starting in Bulgarian.
3. I located the exact paragraph PRECEDING said paragraph in Bulgarian.
4. I deleted all tags in this paragraph, (It was heavily formatted: formatting changed in the middle of a word.) and left only the target text.
5. I refreshed preview and found out that now the text was showing in English.
6. I located 2 more paragrpahs that I applied steps 2-5 to.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
1. Studio crashed once while refreshing the preview, which cost me all changes completed to that point.
2. I would like to see Studio being able to handle flawlessly all formatted doc files.

Thank you to all who invested time in answering my question!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You ask too much... Aug 9, 2010

Sorry, but heavilly formatted Word documents are correctly handled as long the formatting is not a complete mess. In case of OCR files the formatting is hoewever a complete mess, so you do better removing some sort of formatting before you start working. Use CodeZapper macro by David Turner for that or at least change the font in your document to a single font without any additional spacing formatting. Then you will really have less trouble.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
flawless Aug 9, 2010

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

2. I would like to see Studio being able to handle flawlessly all formatted doc files.

You will see Studio doing this if the doc file itself has been formatted flawlessly icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 generates final translations in source language

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search