Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:58
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2010

Hi, everyone.

Just reinstalled my OS (Win7) on my laptop, and after installing MS office and Trados 7 I do not see any Trados icons in my Word... Any ideas?? I need to start working on an urgent project, but can't because of this problem.

Thankful for your speedy advice!

VS

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the Word startup folder Aug 9, 2010

and copy the Trados template from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder.
However, I am not really sure if Trados 7 will run on Windows 7 without problems. It was not designed to do so and according to the information availabe at SDL they do not support Trados 7 working on Win7.

Viviana de Marco  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
no compatibility between trados 7 and windows 7 Aug 9, 2010

Hello,

it seems that there is no compatibility between windows 7 and trados 7, I have the same problem.

Try to work with Tag Editor.

Good Luck

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Windows 7 Aug 9, 2010

apparently has some kind of inbuilt XP emulator (virtual machine). This may be one way round the problem. I'm not sure which versions have this feature - may only be the Professional/Ultimate versions.

I do not have Windows 7 yet, but it will be a problem I will be faced with in the very near future - so keep us posted!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:58
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados template and Word menu Aug 11, 2010

Nick Quaintmere wrote:
apparently has some kind of inbuilt XP emulator (virtual machine). This may be one way round the problem. I'm not sure which versions have this feature - may only be the Professional/Ultimate versions.
I do not have Windows 7 yet, but it will be a problem I will be faced with in the very near future - so keep us posted!

This is a typical problem even with Windows XP/Word 2003 or 2007/Trados 2007 combinations. We can search Proz.com for many sophisticate problem solving methods.

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:58
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 11, 2010

I'd like to thank all of those who gave feedback.

I tried the template method - didn't work.

My project was urgent, so I had to throw Trados to another XP machine where it worked fine. But this, of course, was only a temporary way out of this.

I don't know about the XP emulator, I might try this one.

Does anyone know which Trados versions work with Win7 ??

Thanks again.

VS

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Update on Windows 7 Oct 9, 2010

Now I have moved over to my new machine, I can confirm that I have no problems running Trados Studio 2009 or Trados 2007 together with Office 2007 on Windows 7 (64-bit version).

In fact Windows 7 seems to be much more friendly to older software than Vista was. I have not had to try out the XP virtual machine option for anything so far - which is a good job because this feature is only available in the "Ultimate" version of Windows 7 and an upgrade costs around €180

Edit: Apparently, it's available in the "Professional" version too - which may be a bit cheaper.

[Edited at 2010-10-09 14:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados icons in Word...

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search