Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:36
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2010

Hi, everyone.

Just reinstalled my OS (Win7) on my laptop, and after installing MS office and Trados 7 I do not see any Trados icons in my Word... Any ideas?? I need to start working on an urgent project, but can't because of this problem.

Thankful for your speedy advice!

VS

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the Word startup folder Aug 9, 2010

and copy the Trados template from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder.
However, I am not really sure if Trados 7 will run on Windows 7 without problems. It was not designed to do so and according to the information availabe at SDL they do not support Trados 7 working on Win7.

Viviana de Marco  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
no compatibility between trados 7 and windows 7 Aug 9, 2010

Hello,

it seems that there is no compatibility between windows 7 and trados 7, I have the same problem.

Try to work with Tag Editor.

Good Luck

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Windows 7 Aug 9, 2010

apparently has some kind of inbuilt XP emulator (virtual machine). This may be one way round the problem. I'm not sure which versions have this feature - may only be the Professional/Ultimate versions.

I do not have Windows 7 yet, but it will be a problem I will be faced with in the very near future - so keep us posted!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:36
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados template and Word menu Aug 11, 2010

Nick Quaintmere wrote:
apparently has some kind of inbuilt XP emulator (virtual machine). This may be one way round the problem. I'm not sure which versions have this feature - may only be the Professional/Ultimate versions.
I do not have Windows 7 yet, but it will be a problem I will be faced with in the very near future - so keep us posted!

This is a typical problem even with Windows XP/Word 2003 or 2007/Trados 2007 combinations. We can search Proz.com for many sophisticate problem solving methods.

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:36
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 11, 2010

I'd like to thank all of those who gave feedback.

I tried the template method - didn't work.

My project was urgent, so I had to throw Trados to another XP machine where it worked fine. But this, of course, was only a temporary way out of this.

I don't know about the XP emulator, I might try this one.

Does anyone know which Trados versions work with Win7 ??

Thanks again.

VS

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Update on Windows 7 Oct 9, 2010

Now I have moved over to my new machine, I can confirm that I have no problems running Trados Studio 2009 or Trados 2007 together with Office 2007 on Windows 7 (64-bit version).

In fact Windows 7 seems to be much more friendly to older software than Vista was. I have not had to try out the XP virtual machine option for anything so far - which is a good job because this feature is only available in the "Ultimate" version of Windows 7 and an upgrade costs around €180

Edit: Apparently, it's available in the "Professional" version too - which may be a bit cheaper.

[Edited at 2010-10-09 14:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados icons in Word...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search