JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:16
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2010

Hi all,

A problem I've just started having with Studio - when I try to use "Add Term" to add to the auto suggest list, nothing happens in the Termbase window. The Save and Cancel buttons are, however, activated, and when I click Save I get an error message - "An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line: 90. Char: 2. Error: 'null' is null or not an object. Code: 0. file: //C:/Documents and Settings/Jane/Local Settings/Temp/eyeimdko.uoe.html" (*)

The file mentioned does not exist in the Temp directory. I've tried deleting the Temp directory and recreating a new one, but I get the same message. The file name is different for each term I try to add, and in any case does not seem to exist.

This is not the "I've just run Trados 2007 and now I have to run the .bat file" issue; does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I'm working on a large job, and Auto Suggest would be rather handy!

Thanks in advance,

Jane

(*I've had to reverse the slashes in the path to get it to display here)

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
'Add term' and AutoSuggest are two different things! Aug 10, 2010

...when I try to use "Add Term" to add to the auto suggest list, nothing happens in the Termbase window.
]

There seems to be some misunderstanding here: the function 'Add Term' is used to add a term to a termbase and not to add an AutoSuggest entry. These are two completely different things! You cannot add anything to an AutoSuggest dictionary, you generate it from an existing TM.

I'm working on a large job, and Auto Suggest would be rather handy!

In this case, generate an AutoSuggest dictionary by going to 'Tools - Generate AutoSuggest dictionary'.

Back to the error you get: can you tell us what you did exactly?
Do you have a termbase attached to your project?
Did you select source and target term before you chose 'Addterm'?

If yes, have a look at KB article 2759:
http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2759&p=1

Walter

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More explanation Aug 10, 2010

Hi Walter,

I'll try to explain what I am doing more clearly:

I need to be able to see auto suggest entries for translating this document, but I can't, because I can't create them in the first place by adding them to the termbase so that the program can then generate the auto suggest entry as it has always previously done.

So, what I do is this: I highlight a word on each side of the interface that I want to be added to the termbase as equivalent words in each language. I click Add Term. Nothing happens in terms of creating the entry, other than that the Save and Cancel buttons become highlighted, and the termbase window (right hand pane) goes blank (white). (Only when I click Cancel does it go back to the SDL logo.) I would normally expect to see the two language entries displayed in the right hand pane for me to edit or confirm.

I've just tried - to see what happened - editing an existing entry in the termbase, but I can't do that either.

Another note - I can add to the termbase by using Multi Term separately, but it's not exactly convenient!

Hope this makes it clearer.

Jane

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Have you tried the suggestions in the KB article Aug 10, 2010

Check your Java settings. Disable the 'enable next generation plugin' option and see whether it solves your problem. The termbase interface is quite sensitive about the Java options.

What happens if you undock the termbase viewer window? Does it still not display the content?

And once again for your understanding: this has nothing to do with AutoSuggest, we are dealing with a termbase here. The confusion probably stems from the fact that the AutoSuggest function also shows termbase entries in addition to AutoSuggest entries, but termbase entries are NOT contained in the AutoSuggest dictionary. You can insert terms with CTRL-ALT-L without using AutoSuggest at all.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That doesn't seem to help either Aug 10, 2010

No, I'm afraid it doesn't display when undocked either.

And when I untick the Java plugin, I get another error message, which starts "Cannot load class sun/plugin/JavaRunTime"... Oh dear!

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
The keyboard shortcut could be different. Aug 10, 2010

You can insert terms with CTRL-ALT-L without using AutoSuggest at all.

In my application I use CTRL-SHIFT-L.

I'm not sure if I set it up that way or if it is a default setting, but I think it is important for you to know that the keystrokes you can use for inserting terms may vary.

You can check this from the editor via the menu Tools, Options, Keyboard shortcuts, Editor, then look for "Show Translated Terms". In the right-hand column of the window you will see the correct keyboard shortcut, which you can also customize to suit your needs.

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Sorry, I meant CTRL-SHIFT-L .. Aug 10, 2010

, which is the default.

Apologies, this often happens when one needs to describe a shortcut because once you use the shortcut regularly, it becomes so automatic that you don't even remember what the keys are (the fingers automatically hit the right ones on the keyboard).

Walter

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Uninstall and reinstall JRE Aug 10, 2010

Hi Jane

Looks like you have a problem with the Java RTE. I suggest that you reinstall Java.

Walter

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately... Aug 10, 2010

neither works! But it will be handy to know when I get it working again.

I know what you mean about your fingers working automatically - I am surprised when, as often happens, I need to change between three different CAT programs on a regular basis, and I only have to try a couple of times before I remember how to confirm a segment.

I will try reinstalling Java if I have to, but it would be nice to be able to get this fixed without. I haven't updated or changed my Java during the period I have been working on this document... though that's not to say that it hasn't gone off and updated itself automatically, even though *everything* is meant to be set to not update without my say so!

Thanks for the help anyway.

Jane

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The setting for automatic update of Java is separate Aug 10, 2010

Jane

Just to make sure: whether Java gets updated automatically or not is governed by the Java settings in your Control Panel and not by the Windows Update options. Go to Control Panel - Java - click on the tab 'Update' and check the setting.

I don't think your problem has been caused by an update as I have recently updated to the last version of Java and did not experience any problem.

It rather seems to be a problem of configuration or Java memory. The Java interface is unfortunately rather tricky and prone to cause problems with Mutliterm.

A few suggestions for checks you could do before contacting SDL:

- Can you open and edit the selected termbase in the Multiterm application?
- Do the termbase entries show up in the Term Recognition window in Studio? If yes, can you display the entry by clicking on the magnifying glass above the entry?
- Do you get this error message only with this termbase or also with another?
- Have you tried to remove and add again the termbase in your Project settings?

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have any termbase defined for your project? Aug 10, 2010

Sorry for this dumb question, but from your information I can't tell if you have.
As already mentioned, AutoSuggest dictionary IS NOT the same as a termbase and CANNOT be edited.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers to questions... Aug 10, 2010

Yes, I can open and edit the termbase in Multi Term
Yes, I can display entries that are already present in the termbase
I get the error with other termbases (including one that I have just created)
I have tried removing and re-adding the termbase
Java is set, as it should be, to not update itself automatically

And yes, I do have a termbase selected

(I will try to get the distinction between Auto Suggest dictionaries and the Auto Suggest function straight in my head - when it starts working again!)

Jane

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Yes and no :) Aug 10, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sorry for this dumb question, but from your information I can't tell if you have.
As already mentioned, AutoSuggest dictionary IS NOT the same as a termbase

Indeed, it is not the same.

and CANNOT be edited.

No, it can be edited.
E.g., see http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The error is selective to termbases? Aug 10, 2010

Do I understand you right - you do get the error only for certain termbases?
If so, than not the installation would be defective, but the termbases themselve...
Are you able to store the termbase definition and perform an export for those termbases? If yes, I would try to recreate them this way.

If you are getting the error within Studio only, but in MultiTerm termbases are working, tha we really need to start from scratch.
The Java versions on your system must be 1.5.0_10 and 1.6.0_14
The setting for "Allow next generation plug in" has to be active (at least my last knowledge). This applies to Studio SP2 and MultiTerm SP2.
If you have "Side by Side tools" on your system (should be the case with SP2), try to run the "Repair MultiTerm 2009" application from there. It might either repair the installation or at least report some errors.

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Cannot be edited ... with included functions Aug 10, 2010

No, it can be edited.
E.g., see http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net

Cheers
GG

Gregorz

When I said this, I meant that it is not supposed to be edited as part of the standard functionality of Studio.

Of course, techies will always find some workaround and nothing is wrong about this. On the other hand, keep in mind, that the use of such tools might not be appropriate for all type of users.

Walter

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't add term within Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search