Thread poster: Annemieke de Bruin

Annemieke de Bruin
Netherlands
Local time: 09:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 10, 2010

Hello,

I know there are a lot of threads about this subject, but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

I have bought a new PC with (32 bit) Windows 7, Office 2010, and installed Trados 2007 without any problems. It works fine, except when I try to translate a Word document. I cannot get Trados to work with Word. I emailed Trados about this and got the following reply:

"Following your recent inquiry, we would like to inform you that office 2010 is still being tested for compatibility with our products.

It is therefore difficult to tell if these issues will be dealt with in a near future; nonetheless, feel free to get back to us if we can be of any assistance."

But from what I've read on the forums this isn't true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
Annemieke

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK Trados 2007 is not really supposed to work with Office 2010 Aug 10, 2010

As the name says, T2007 has been released more than 3 years ago, when the latest Office version was 2007. Now Office 2010 has been released just recently - so I would not really expect the old program to work with the new one.
My advice would be to switch to TagEditor or to buy Office 2003 - T2007 works perfectly well with this version of Office.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 05:59
English to Portuguese
Trados 2007 Suite Freelance works OK with Office 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Hello

I use Trados 2007 Suite Freelance and it works seamlessly with Office 2010. My system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I use Office 2010 32-bit, but remember that the original Trados 2007 has been offered an upgrade (in 2008 or 2009 I don't remember...) to Build 863. It costed about $70, and allowed for a much better experience with Word 2007. Perhaps that is the problem...

When the original Trados 2007 was launched, it simply crawled on the new (at that time...) Word 2007, but worked great with Word 2003. After hundreds of complaints about that problem, the developers at SDL discovered that it was a problem with Word scripting itself, and Microsoft issued a hotfix for it. Some time later SDL offered an upgrade for the version "Suite" 2007, in which those problems were solved for good.

Perhaps you still have that previous version: the one I use (the "Suite") has a build nr 863.

If it is not that, do the "most of the time never fails routine": unistall Office 2010, uninstall Trados, reinstall Office 2010, apply all patches (mandatory and not, .NET etc.) you can find in Windows Update site, reinstall Trados and everything should be OK. It is OK here...

Rgds

Edric

Heiko Schmieder  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados Workbench in Word 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Hello,

I am using Trados 2009 with Office 2010. But I think the Trados Add-In is based on Trados 2007.
First, it also did not work - there was no icon for Trados / Add-In available in Office 10 but I found a thread in the forum with a tip that worked.

You need copy-paste the trados8.dot file (in Trados folder I think) and copy it to ...user\...\microsoft\startup\trados8.dot -> add template and choose the file.

It is a bit tricky but it works well.

Best,

Heiko

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Have you read this thread? Aug 10, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176507-trados_toolbar_in_word_2010.html

Annemieke de Bruin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help! Aug 10, 2010

I had read that thread but wasn't sure how to do it. I've now figured it out - there were 2 files (Trados8.dot and Trados8.dotm) and I'd copied both. When I tried to open a segment it said 'wrong number of arguments or invalid property'. I disabled the .dot file and now it seems to work perfectly.

Cheers, much appreciated!

Davide De Leo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL 2009 with word 2010 Aug 25, 2010

I'm new to windows 7, new to sdl 2009 and new to word 2010 and now am getting to grips with the three together on the same machine (bought 2 days ago)!

I read the previous threads but cannot find any trados.dot file. IN which directory shall I look?

Many thanks,
Davide

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need dotm file Aug 25, 2010

And you have to look in the installation directory for Trados.
If you can't find the file, please allow the viw of hiddden and system files in Windows and also deselect the option to hide file name extensions there.
In case of doubt refer to Windows help how to do it.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Word templates are only used for pre-Studio versions Aug 25, 2010

Davide De Leo wrote:

I'm new to windows 7, new to sdl 2009 and new to word 2010 and now am getting to grips with the three together on the same machine (bought 2 days ago)!

I read the previous threads but cannot find any trados.dot file. IN which directory shall I look?

If by "SDL 2009" you mean "Studio 2009", then you do not need any Word templates. These are only used if you still want to translate directly from within Word (which is not possible with Studio anymore).

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 not working with Word 2010

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search