Packages and projects in Studio 2009
Thread poster: iamsara

iamsara
Local time: 14:02
English to Spanish
Aug 10, 2010

Hi, does anyone know a good reason for using packages instead of projects for a workflow involving translation and edit? What are the main differences between packages and projects? Any advantages?

Thanks in advance

[Editado a las 2010-08-10 14:21 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Advantages of projects Aug 10, 2010

When you just open a single document, you have always to remember which settings to apply. You also have to take care where to sve the target document - otherwise the software will overwrite your source.
If using projects, you can recycle the settings from previous projects for repeating jobs and thus reduce the amout of setting work neccessary.
With projects you can create templates for certain purposes, containing TM, terminology, AutoSuggest and QA settings for particular projects. This is the fastes and IMHO most convenient way of working.
In fact I use this for every single job, even the smallest file.

iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Aug 10, 2010

Hi Jerzy, thanks for your reply. I can only see pros in working with projects, but a client I´m working with uses packages for single file projects (sends a new package for every new batch) and I can´t see the good point for it.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is customers choice Aug 10, 2010

What you can do, is receving the packages, taking the XLIFF file from there, adding it to your existing project for this customer and translating there. After you're done simply copy the translated SDLXLIFF back to customers project folder, overwrite the existing one there. Perform the QA task that file and send the retur package to the customer. This should work - giving you both an advantage of projectsicon_smile.gif

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
So what about "open file" in Studio? Aug 10, 2010

Thank you Jerzy. I had been wandering about this. Are you saying that it is always better to use "New Project" (or to add to an existing project) rather than "Open document" in Studio?

If so, are there any circumstances in which you would use "Open document"?

I would also welcome any comments from Paul if he sees this.

[Edited at 2010-08-10 22:58 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It depends on your file organization Aug 11, 2010

Are you saying that it is always better to use "New Project" (or to add to an existing project) rather than "Open document" in Studio?

Mark

This depends on the way you are used to organize your files. 'Open Document' seems easier at first glance, on the other hand you still need to select your TM, termbase, ASD every time. If you use the 'Create Project' approach, you can use a predefined template, which means that in many cases the only thing you need to change going through the steps of the wizard is the selection of the documents and for all other steps you can simply click 'Next'.
Another big advantage of the project creation approach is that you can choose where you want your project folders to go. If you decide - like me - to centralize all project folders in one big folder, which is independent from the customer specific folder, the only way to do this is to use the project approach because when you use 'Open Document' the project folder (yes, Studio always creates a project folder, also for 'Open Document'), the project folder automatically goes into the folder from where you opened the source file (Studio does not ask you where you want to store it!). This means that if your source files come from various sources/folders, you will end up having project folders all over the place, which is not very convenient if you want to delete them after some time (because basically they contain only temporary files, which you don't need to keep forever). This fact is the main reason, why I (and my colleagues I work with in our network) have chosen to always create a project, even for single documents.

Walter

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Open Document or Create Project Aug 11, 2010

Hi Mark,

Jerzy and Walter are both correct really because it depends on how you want to work. Projects are particularly good if you like to keep all your Project work and client folders seperate, and it also makes it a doddle to back everything up and restore Projects if you reinstall on a new machine for example. It 's also good if you like to work in an orderly fashion using the Projects view to manage your workload. I like to number all my Projects before the clients reference for example so I can easily reference between the project and the folders where I keep the clients files safe. It gives the appearance of being orderly like this and I've always worked on the principle that if it looks right it is right.... and vice versaicon_wink.gif

Open Document is a handy facility for fast opening and working on a file, but it will still create a Project in the background and it will be saved in the location of your clients files by default. This suits many translators as they like to keep all the files and all their work related to one client in the same place. It is also a nice way to work if you only have one language pair and one TM and AutoSuggest because you can set the options to always use these by default and when you Open Document the files are immediately opened in the Editor with no other actions required.

Really, it's a question of how you want to work. The flexibility is there.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
FWIW: my workflow Aug 11, 2010

Just for showing a possibility to work with projects I'll try to describe my workflow:

My files are organised like that:
d:\jobs\customer_name\project_number

Now when a job comes I place the files in the said folder.
In Studio I create a project then. You may have noticed, that when you enter the project name in Studio, the program adapts the path for the project and creates a directory with exactly the same name as the project. To keep the project in the same folder, where the files are, I copy the path to the files and insert it in Studio.
Then I go through the whole project creation, if this is the first job for the customer. All settings can now be adapted and in the end I can store this a a project template. When creating a project out of a template, I just need to chose the template, enter the project number and the files, then I am done.
Compared to the file approach I prefer projects because of the possibility of having quite complicated settings, depending on customer and language pair, set in a template. And also I do not have to pay any attention to where the target files go or how are they called - all this is managed by the program.
So in case of projects Studio is also a project management tool.
When working with just "Open file" I would have to think of to many things each time and this would not really save me time. In fact if you think you would need to explain someone how to work with Studio and use the "Open file" method, then you need to tell about overwriting the source, explain why it is so and so on. When you create a project the explanation is much smplier. You read the content of the starting folder, the system creates a workable copy of this for you and in the end the system creates a target copy of that.

To answer his question directly:
If so, are there any circumstances in which you would use "Open document"?

No, I do not use "Open document" anymore, since about a year now.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2010-08-11 08:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Packages and projects in Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search