TagEditor not working in demo mode?
Thread poster: Satu Wiren

Satu Wiren  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2010

Hello, I am considering Trados and downloaded a demo version of Trados, version 7.0...

I have now received 2 ttx files from a client, but cannot edit them in TagEditor. The fist one had the translations and I was supposed to proof the file, but nothing happened, when I selected the edit mode and tried to overtype the translation.

The other file was showing just the source text and I have no idea where I was supposed to write the translation. Well, couldn't type anything anyway, so it was totally useless.

Sure one should be able to test the TagEditor also in demo mode?
r.satu

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Open segments Aug 10, 2010

Did you open the segments or, being your first time, did you try to overwrite the text as you would in any type of editor?

Did they send you a memory?

Is Translator Workbench running?

Have you read how to use the software?

Many people are under the impression that SDL Trados is just like Word or some other editor. Not so, specially Tag Editor, precisely because of the tags. I would say Tag Editor is not the best/easiest module for a "baptism of fire" in Trados.

I hope this is not an urgent job. You need to read the manual.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Any TM open in Workbench? Aug 10, 2010

TagEditor (as already stated by Luisa) will not work without the Workbench. It is not a standalone product, like Word.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Why not try Studio? Aug 10, 2010

Satu Wiren wrote:
Hello, I am considering Trados and downloaded a demo version of Trados, version 7.0...
r.satu

Hi,

If you are just considering to use Trados why not start with Studio? You can still work with TTX files you received from your client and as a new user I think you will find it easier to get to grips with than the older TagEditor.

You can find a free trial version here as well as a lot more free instructional literature than you would find for TagEditor;

http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/sdl-trados-studio-trial/default.asp

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Studio needs reading too Aug 10, 2010

Yes, why not start with the most recent version, however, you still need to read how everything works (I'd say even more so), and that requires time. As I said, I hope this is not an urgent job.

English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor problems Aug 10, 2010

Thank you very much for your comments.
Workbench is running, TagEditor will not even start if it is not.

I created an empty memory for this.
Actually I have now managed to type to the file after removing the file protection. (saw this advice in an another topic)

At least one question remains: Where the heck am I supposed to write the translation in TagEditor? Surely if I overtype, I will not get a bilingual file which the client requested?

I tried (pre)translating the file with Workbech having selected "populate target with source" or such, but I keep getting an error about missing ppt filter and the report shows 0 translated segments.

(Actually I managed to work around the job this morning by translating the original ppt document with Wordfast. Did not work 100%, but good enough for now.)

I am usually very good with learning software (been a computer hobbyist for over 20 years), but I just find this Trados so confusing. I really would not consider purchasing this, if this huge client didn't send me these ttx files.

Normally I can translate ttx files in Wordfast pro, but it needs "translated" files, ie, the target must be populated with source. And I just cannot figure out, why I cannot create such files with this demo version.

Thank you for the offer of Studio, it is way too expensive for me, just working part time.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please use the tutorial and read some manuals Aug 10, 2010

What you've done, is exactly what you should have NOT done.
Switching off the document protection is not the way to translate in TagEditor.
What you need is to open the file in TE, then press ALT+HOME. Put your translation in the yellow line appearing. Press ALT+NUM+ to get to the next segment when done.
BTW, how do you translate in Wordfast? The usage of Wordfast and Trados in Word is so similar, that you should be able to use Trados in Word at once. And the difference between Word and Tageditor is the interface, but the way it works is again very similar.

I can also offer you an online crash course in using TE - so if you wish feel free to contact me via my profile.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2010-08-10 14:35 GMT]

English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some progress Aug 10, 2010

Heh,

why the heck no-one told me that this works like Wordfast!icon_smile.gif
I tried translating a couple of segments, I keep getting an error message about missing PowerPoint something.

Loads of keyboard shortcut s to get used to. I hate it when all the translation memory software use different keys. An also hate that one has to use two hands to perform the most commonly used commands. I mean Alt plus +, can they be any further away?

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Trados Ribbon Aug 10, 2010

The Trados ribbon has all the commands, so there is no need to Alt + anything. Having said that, however, with time it is easier and faster to do the Alt + something than dragging the mouse to click on the commands.

Another word of caution, because you mentioned that the client wants a bilingual file. There is a flowchart in the TagEditor manual that shows exactly what to do to achieve this. Make sure you understand it so you do not end with a cleaned-up file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor not working in demo mode?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search