Translation of INX files with Workbench
Thread poster: ronen74

ronen74
Local time: 17:38
Aug 11, 2010

Hello,

I have a TM created from translated MS Word files, next step of project is translation of INX files (Indesign CS3).
The TM contains all strings that i need for these INX files.

My problem is:
After batch translation process of all INX files in Translation Workbench (Trados 2007), a lot of strings are still not translated.
I understand that problem is in tags (e.g. "cf", "linebreak", etc.) in the middle of strings. Of course is possible to translate every segment again manually from TM, but i have hundreds of files and no time for this.

Any solution for this trouble?

Thank You

[Edited at 2010-08-11 01:16 GMT]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:38
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use TagEditor Aug 11, 2010

TagEditor is designed to handle a variety of formats, including INX

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unfortunately you will need to rework your translation Aug 11, 2010

Manual line breaks, hyphens and similar can be deleted from InDesign prior to translation. This will reduce the number of strings you will have to work on.
However, due to completly different concept - WYSIWYG in case of Word translation and tagged in case of INX - there is no possibility to keep the segments identical for both Word and INX. If you are a lucky guy and both InDesign and Word have been formatted perfectly, the number of odifferences will be very limited.
But usualy the attempt to translate Word instead of InDesign means always more work.
You can also copy&paste text from Word to InDesign...

In my opinion you should have translated the INX files from the beginning instead of using the step via Word.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:38
French to German
+ ...
Batch translate vs interactive Aug 11, 2010

Peter

I am not sure I understand correctly what you want to do, so correct me if I made wrong assumptions.

If your TM contains segments that come from a translation in Word, it is obvious that you will not get 100% matches when you translate the same document in InDesign format because the tags will be different.

The only way to make sure that you can produce a target document in InDesign format is to do a 'translate to fuzzy' and to adapt the tags every time TE stops.

If you overlook these tags, your target document will most probably not be correctly formatted in InDesign or even not convert back to INX.

What I don't understand is why you say "I don't have time for this"? What are you actually trying to achieve?

Tag Editor is a translation tool and it handles various formats, including Word and InDesign, but it is not able to automatically transform a content formatted in Word into a content formatted in InDesign (an impossible task anyway!)

Walter

ronen74
Local time: 17:38
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Aug 11, 2010

Jerzy, thanks for your suggestion, but it seems that in my case better solution is translate to fuzzy all inx files with manual fix of problematic segments.
Walter, thank you, i understand that have no choice and to try your way. "No time" means that i'm not a translator, i'm graphic designer and my part of project was only running auto translate in Workbench and finishing Ind files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of INX files with Workbench

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search