Where to define the settings of the translated HTML file?
Thread poster: EL Cavanaugh

EL Cavanaugh
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
Aug 11, 2010

Hi,

I got the assignment where customer specifies the deliver "Translated HTML files must be encoded in UTF-8, with BOM signature."

I never had that before and I am not sure what that means and requires from me.

Help appreciated.

KIndest Eija

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:08
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX and Trados Aug 11, 2010

For SDL Trados 2007: Trados, open TagEditor and click the setting menu to select options in DTD file (*.ini file). Also check Trados program folder C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT (or Trados Synergy) for TradosFilterSettings.exe utility program of specific settings for WorkBench. For SDL Trados Studio 2009, settings are in an equivalent menu (no more TagEditor in this version)--sorry, I cannot check it for you now. But Trados help page will reply on this.

For SDL Trados 2007: SDLX, open Project menu, Import and set respective items on many tabs e.g. source and target font coding, tags, HTML setting. For SDL Trados Studio 2009, settings are in an equivalent menu (no more SDLX in this version)--sorry, I cannot check it for you now. But Trados help page will reply on this.
Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

EL Cavanaugh
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Setting menu? Aug 11, 2010

Hi Khun Soonton,

Thank you for replying to me - I do not quite get what you are saying - what is setting menu in TagEditor? I have File/Edit/View/Worbench/Tolls/Window/Help - I do not know how to select options in the DTD file - there is a project specific .ini file that I am using for the assignment but I do not see where I can modify the .ini file´s settings.

For this assignment I am good, I checked with the client and heard I can ignore that part of the delivery instruction as it is more for the functional QA´s. Still I would like to understand for the future what this is about.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
English
SDL Trados 2007 and 2009 Aug 11, 2010

Hi Eija,

If you are using SDL Trados 2007 then first of all the encoding needs to be UTF-8 before you start and you can then set the option for BOM in the ini file settings for HTML. To do this open TagEditor then Tools - Tag Settings, select the ini you want to edit (in this case the HTML), double click it and then select the Elements tab across the top. Now click on Advanced at the bottom of this pane and you will see the options for UTF-8 BOM at the bottom. You probably want the middle option to add the BOM if it's not there already.

For SDL Trados Studio 2009 the options are better and easier. You can change the encoding of the target translation by selecting File - Active Document Settings when the translation is open in the Editor. The options for the BOM can be found in Tools - Options - FileTypes - HTML - Writing.

I hope this is what you needed.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
With Studio 2009: translate the file Aug 11, 2010

When your file is ready, use the "Save target as..." command and select the desired encoding there.

[Edited at 2010-08-11 08:49 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Excellent..! Aug 11, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

When your file is ready, use the "Save target as..." command and select the desired encoding there.

[Edited at 2010-08-11 08:49 GMT]

Hi Jerzy,

I had never noticed that..! Thanks

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to define the settings of the translated HTML file?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search